Chapter 4: Lucifers Guilt

The next day, around 11:30, I awoke to a gut wrenching scream. Sai... As last night's events flashed through my mind like a movie I found myself with tears streaming down my snout. I'm so sorry Sai. I apologized in my mind before she came running into my confines and jumping onto my neck. I let out a confused roar and reached my paws up, carefully wrapping my claws around her torso.

"Why Lucifer?!" She buried her head into my scaly chest. I wound my tail around to sit gently on  her back. "Why did you kill him?I know he was bad but...  no one deserves that fate. Was it at least fast?" She looked up at me, staring me deep into my purple eyes, tears flooding her perfect amber ones.

I closed my eyes and my tail drooped from her back. I let her go and I dropped my paws to the floor with a clicking of my long claws.

A sob escaped her maw, and I felt my heart throb with anguish. Seeing her so broken filled me with guilt and pain. I let out a purr in an attempt to soothe her but it only made her cry more. I didn't understand why she was so attached to that man. From what I saw he was an abuser. He would hurt Sai and constantly yell at her even if she made a tiny mistake.

I hated how much she cared about him. I let out a sigh and turned around, my claws hitting the cool ground. She faced my back, and I allowed her to climb onto my back. She crawled until she hit my shoulder blades where she curled up. The sun had been heating my scales all day, so she was perfectly nestled into the black abyss that was my body.

Her body was a bit cooler than mine, but she was also smaller than me. I lowered my body to the ground with a huff. She let out a contented sigh and snuggled in closer. The muscles in my back twitched for a moment.

In the midday sun we continued to bask in the light rays. Sleep fell over my mind. Sai is just so comfortable on my back. It would be rude to move. Were the last thoughts I had on my mind before I slipped into a dark, dreamless sleep.