Let's have a baby - Jay Halstead

Characters: Jay Halstead x Reader, Will Halstead

Warnings: Mentions of fainting and pregnancy

Summary: (Prompt 99) You and your husband decide it's finally time to have a baby. 

*****

You came home with such an emotion painted on your face that it brought a smile to Jay's face despite the horrible day he had. There might've been casualties today but with you walking in with the biggest smile on your face, your dimple shining so much he was blinded, you could turn over any day.

"Look at you." Jay smirked, putting his beer down on the coffee table and coming towards you, waiting for you to finish putting everything away before leaning down and kissing you, feeling your smile against his lips.

"What's with the smile?" Your husband asked, letting you drag him back to the sofa, sitting very comfortably on his lap which he did not object to.

You had to stop yourself from getting lost in his eyes, your hands cupping his jaw, not bothered with the prickly feeling his stubble brought.

"Let's have a baby."

You said very seriously, your smile dropping in your seriousness as you watched him closely for any type of reaction. The two of you had been married for nearly two years now and yes, you'd have the occasional talk about children but after the wonder-filled day you had as a paediatric nurse, you finally caved.

"Baby." Jay said under his breath, forcing you to pinch him to make sure this was definitely real life and not a dream. "Don't lie, it's not funny."

Your soft smile and hands on his face were what made Jay realise that this was real, the biggest smile breaking out as he chuckled.

"I thought you'd never ask." He pulled you into his embrace, your head falling into his neck, arms going around his chest while his went around your back, pressing multiple kisses into your hair.

Stifling your giggles against his lips, you continued to kiss him, quick, short pecks and long, passionate ones which was the cause of the two of you moving to the bedroom.

*****

You thought nothing of your dizziness and sudden vomiting episode you had, blaming it all on the fact that it was flu season and you worked with kids who had no care for sanitation.

However, you did start putting some thought into it when you struggled staying on your feet, stumbling when you tried to get out your chair and walk towards a room to do your job.

It was purely coincidence that Will had a patient he moved from the ED up to the PICU, having just so been in the area when he witnessed you stumble in the corner of his eyes.

In a literal split second, Will was by your side, holding you up when your feet struggled to hold up your body weight. "Woah Y/N, you okay?"

Overly cautious and worried for his sister-in-law, Will watched your every move, waiting for something good or bad to happen or waiting for you to get your bearings together; he wasn't too sure.

"I- I'm okay." You slowly nodded, trying to blink the blurriness away and bring back your normal sight but failed. With how very poorly you were feeling, a heavy weight pushing down on your chest, you knew you weren't going to walk away from this alright. "Will, Will I'm gonna-"

Before you could properly warn him, you collapsed into your brother-in-law's arms, dropping like you were nothing but a rag doll.

"Get me a gurney!"

*****

Waking up in a bed you couldn't familiarise yourself with was daunting and had it not been for the ring on the hand holding yours, you definitely would've tried to escape.

Hearing you groan, Jay's eyes snapped up to yours, sighing in relief when he saw you blinking in confusion. "Oh thank goodness."

"What happened?" You asked, still groggy from fainting. You eyed the needle in your hand, following the clear tube up to the IV bag hanging besides your bed.

"You fainted." Jay replied. Despite his endless hounding at his brother for answers, Will kept it short and promised that he would tell him everything once you regained consciousness.

"In the middle of the work?" You groaned, digging your palms into your eye sockets. Everyone was going to be like guard dogs around you for the next few days, even if you repeatedly reassured them you were completely fine.

Before Jay could reply with anything remotely snarky or sarcastic, Will knocked on the treatment room door frame, smiling at your conscious self, you were looking much better than you were back in the PICU where you looked near dead in his arms.

"Welcome back." Will smirked, glancing down at his ipad with information from your bloodwork and all the tests they did on you. He both ordered and read them hours ago, the only people knowing what it said was himself and Maggie.

Clutching your husbands hand, your tried to not dig your nails into his palm. "What is it?"

"Well... It's not an it." Will bit back a smile, putting down the ipad on the bottom of the bed that your feet didn't reach, thanking the nurse for preparing the ultrasound for him.

"Your blood tests showed elevated levels of HCG." He looked at the two of you, gauging your reactions which were very different, your eyes wide as you realised what he meant while Jay glanced between you two in confusion.

"Will, I don't-" Jay cut himself off when the nurse turned on the ultrasound, Will warning you of the cold, quickly applying gel and bringing the wand to your stomach.

 It was too early to hear a heartbeat but you could clearly see a little blob sitting in a clear sack. The little blob was yours and Jay's and it was in your stomach where it would be for a long but short time of 9 months.

With tears in your eyes, you had a wobbly smile when you looked at Jay who tore his eyes from the machine, his green eyes watering too when they met yours.

"We're having a baby."

A/N: The prompt 'let's have a baby' came from my prompt list on tumblr. Hope you liked this!