Dodgeball - Halstead!Sibling

Characters: Will Halstead x Sibling!Reader, Jay Halstead x Sibling!Reader, Ethan Choi

Warnings: Injuries, bullying

Summary: In which a volleyball ball was used instead.

*****

You scowled, ignoring the snickering girls standing opposite you, eyes flickering over at you, looking you up and down as if you were their inside joke but you knew better.

By now, it was expected that 17-year-olds would be mature enough to civil and even stick up for each other, but some girls seemed to miss the memo since they were still acting as if they were in preschool.

This wasn't anything new and you weren't their only target, but it did happen that you were their only current victim in this class, hence why you're their centre of attention.

It shocked you that your gym teacher hadn't noticed but he was too indulged in repeating the rules that you all knew since middle school.

Dodgeball was a game you were relatively good at but once it came down to being the last few people standing, it became much harder to evade any oncoming attacks, all foam balls come hurtling towards you, bouncing away comedically.

It was a decently easy game but not with competitive girls lashing out on each other.

Volleyball was your sport, being on your school's volleyball team since you started as a freshman and from the very first day, it's been your livelihood. The game gave you a rush that you had never experienced and when you won, it was euphoric.

Your brothers had given their full support, wanting nothing more than for you to do whatever you love, and your team won their first state competition, it was as if it sealed in fate that this was what you were meant to do.

So, yes, you were a sporty girl and an extremely competitive, passionate one at that so when you lost a round or game, no matter the sport or even board game, it really got to you.

The same foam balls had been used by the school for years now, no one really knew how old they were but after thousands of complaints, teachers only realising now, they were thrown away and your teacher was firm on doing nothing else but dodgeball.

However, stupid man forgot about the lack of foam balls and really said 'Oh its fine, we'll just use the balls from volleyball or something'.

At the time, you laughed, slapping your best friend on the arm but when he came out from the damp cupboard, dropping an awfully familiar looking bag, you cursed.

You had been hit by a volleyball a few times but that was in very pathetic places that only left light bruises and a few cuts on your fingers and wrist. Those never hurt which you were grateful for but to play dodgeball with the volleyball balls, you could hear the voices of your classmates asking for icepacks and permission slips to see the school nurse.

All your complaints fell on deaf ears and using your 'expertise', you tried explaining to the teacher, but he assured everyone that nothing could go wrong, he knew nothing would go wrong.

Oh, Jay and Will were going to have a field day with this.

Standing in your teams, you were decently happy with your team but due to odd numbers, your best friend who was on your team had to be moved off, gym teachers request. It would've been nice to have her by your side, but you've played perfectly without her before.

As soon as his whistle went off, havoc ensued.

The game went exactly as you thought it would, the mean girls specifically aiming for you as you dodged each on which resulted in someone else got hit, some trying to catch the balls, but it slipped, and they were out. Whining girls sat to the side about aching limbs while others were the embodiment of team spirit, shouting the best encouragements for those who were still playing.