When he's good with kids - Jay Halstead

Prompt 62 'Ladies love a guy who's good with kids'

Characters: Jay Halstead x Reader

Warnings: Very slight mention of a minor, minor death.

*****

Today was just a normal day but then your babysitter never showed up and just when you were going to leave the house, she texted saying she was so sick to the point her mother took her to the ER. You replied with a short but quick message, wishing she got better soon and there was no fault on her behalf.

Due to that little mishap, you were now an hour late to work and had no choice but to bring your sister in with you.

Your baby sister, Riley, was only two years old and has seen the district but never been there with you for the entire day, only visiting on occasions when desperately needed; a police station was no place for a baby.

You had never known your dad and never planned on getting to know him, but your mom had been a constant staple in your life, so when she suddenly died after giving birth to your sister, it took a lot to get back on your feet, but you did.

At this point, you were more of a mother than a sister to Riley, easily being mistaken as such by strangers but even the two-year-old knew that you were her big sister, the best in her eyes.

"Remember, you gotta be good, okay?" You crouched down, pushing back her loose strands of hair behind her ear while she nodded her head enthusiastically.

"Let's go!" You said encouragingly despite Riley already bursting to the seams in excitement since she knew she was getting to spend the entire day at work with her sister, something she never did.

Holding her little hand that clutched your two fingers, you walked her into the district that was bustling with life. The scene was nothing but ordinary for you but for a two-year-old, it was overwhelming so before anything drastic could happen, you quickly approached the front desk where 21st beloved Sergeant was standing, hands on her hips as her eyes zeroed in on you.

"Your late."

"I know, I know." You stressed, nodding your head down to the child besides you causing Trudy to lean over the desk, making eye contact with your kid sister who was staring up eagerly, her tiny hands waving at the older woman she recognised.

"Hi!" Riley waved at Trudy, smile brightening up the entire precinct and you bit back a smile at how fast Trudy changed up; Riley was one of her few weaknesses, everyone at Intelligence knowing Riley since the day she was born.

"She's with me today." You told the desk sergeant. "So, whenever we go out..." You trailed on, not mentioning leaving because as soon as Riley heard you were going to leave, she would become clingy and wouldn't want to let you go.

"I got her." Trudy nodded, waving her fingers at Riley as you thanked her, walking up the stairs as slow as Riley needed, her tiny legs only managing so much.

While her eyes were glued to her footing, you looked up as you entered the unit and smiled at the filled desks, everyone sitting around doing nothing but paperwork; it was a slow morning which was a good thing for you.

Before you could announce yourself, Riley squealed in delight, looking around the room and finding familiar faces that she grew to love in her two years of life.

Her squeal caught everyone's attention, heads snapping up in your direction, smiles painted immediately.

Her smiled was blinding, letting go of her tight grip of your hand as she waddled over to the approaching group; arms wide open for anyone to pick her up, first come, first serve.

"Ay! Little Miss Riley, look at you!" Adam pushed his way to the front, lifting her off her feet and into his arms as everyone circled around to fawn over her.

"Hey." You smiled, nodding at Jay before your attention was solely focused on your baby sister so he couldn't see the pink on your cheeks that you got from looking at him.

Jay reciprocated the exact same feelings you had for him but due to life, and that the two of you were cowards when it came to love, neither of you confessed and it would remain as such till further notice.

Taking notice of his wandering eyes, Hailey elbowed him causing him to jerk, looking at his partner incredulously. He rubbed the 'sore' spot and asked, "What was that for?"

"You were staring." She pointed out the obvious, his attempts of covering himself up falling on deaf ears.

Jay rolled his eyes, looking back at the scene before him, watching Riley babble in Kevin's arms as she 'explained' a story no one could interpret, the man nodding and replying with nothing but enthusiasm as though he completely understood.

His eyes unconsciously drifted over to you, and if it wasn't for the loud babbles of Riley, he would've continued to stare. By no means was he a stalker or unhealthily infatuated by you but he was enamoured and wanted nothing more than to be by your side.

"Pro tip." Hailey said under her breath so that only Jay could hear, taking noticed of his green eyes glued to your short figure.

"Ladies love a guy who's good with kids."

Jay snorted with a hint of disbelief but as the next few minutes flew by, watching how you were basically a helicopter mom to Riley and wouldn't let her do anything remotely dangerous, he was starting to believe she was right.

Future Jay would forever thank Hailey.