Brother-in-law dearest - Will Halstead

Warnings: None? Mentions of pregnancy and childbirth

Summary: You finally tell the other Halstead about the exciting news in a not so exciting way. (Father dearest part two)

A/N: Requested on tumblr. 

*****

You and Will had planned out your pregnancy and marriage announcement one night laying in bed. You had yet to show despite how far along you were getting but you weren't too concerned, it was actually quite common for some women.

The plan was to tell Jay first whenever your schedhules lined up and it finally did. The three of you were going to have dinner and you'd tell him that he was going to be an uncle that night.

But fate had other plans.

You were on shift. Will wasn't going to be in work for another few hours since this was one of the random days you weren't on shift together.

April was talking to you about having a girls day out one of these days since all everyone did was work and you agreed but your planning was cut off by an incoming patient.

The patient was definitely high, shouting like a maniac as he was wheeled in by paramedics and a very familiar brunet man.

"What happened to him?" You asked your brother in law who was unaware of his newly acquired status. He joined your side and walked with you, spudding you in greeting.

"I have no idea but he's our lead suspect." Jay told you, indirectly telling you that this man needed to stay alive by all means possible.

You nodded in understanding, moving away from him and towards the combative man who was being restrained by April and Doris.

Spewing out orders, you helped the two nurses who continued to struggle and out of nowhere, a hands came hurtling towards you causing everyone to be alert.

Despite being on whatever drugs he was on, that man was strong as heck and sitting up, nearly getting off the gurney only gave him more strength to push you away.

Unfortunately for you, because of the treatment room you were in, your head collided with the medicine cabinet, a distinct and worrying sound being made when you hit your head.

Through your pain and the blurriness in your eyes, you missed Jay interfering and cuffing the man himself, April giving him more drugs upon Ethan's request who you didn't notice enter the room.

Groaning, you pulled your hand away from the back of your head and even with your blurry vision, you couldn't deny that you were seeing blood coating your fingers.

"Y/N, we need to check you out." April said from across the room, looking up when the patient dozed off. She could clearly see you bleeding and wasn't going to take no for an answer when you denied her.

"Yeah." You agreed with her, wincing when you tried to nod. Your answer shocked the room, the inhabitants looking at you as if you lost a few brain cells. Usually, you'd turn them all down and repeatedly assure them you were fine. This was definitely a first.

"Can you call Will for me?" You asked Jay who wrapped his arm around you, helping you walk out the treatment room and into another.

"Already on it."

*****

"Just a concussion and a few stitches, that's it?" Will asked for the hundredth time, looking back at Ethan with worry laced in his words.

"Take the next few days off, you know the drill." Ethan told you, leaving out the information that you already knew.

"Wait, baby?" Will said, looking at you questiongly.

"Baby." You gasped, eyes wide in sudden realisation. You were so out of it that you forgot all about the baby.

"Baby."

"Baby."

"Baby?" Jay asked, stepping into your very weird interaction. "Why are we repeating baby?"

You sighed, shoulders slumping in disappointment. This wasn't how you wanted to tell Jay, let alone anyone else.

"Can we get an ultrasound?" Will turned to Ethan, not willing to take his chances with your babies health.

Both men were confused for a second but when they joined the dots, their eyes widened and you couldn't help but smile.

"April, turn on the ultrasound for me please."

You let out the biggest sigh of relief at the sound of a steady heartbeat and at the sight of a healthy baby. God knows what you would've done if they were hurt.

"I thought you agreed no kids till after marriage?" Jay said, more stating than questioning but the implication was there.

You and Will exchanged a knowing glance and Jay caught it because the two of you weren't even trying to be discreet at this point.

"Shut up." Jay huffed, looking between the two of your incredulously. "You guys are married?"

You started laughing, finding his reaction funny along with everyone else's reactions.

At the mention of needing an ultrasound, everyone overheard and took a peek into the room where one of their ED docs were being treated in and they'd heard everything.

"This is too much all at once." April shut her eyes, opening them and pointing at you with a new determination in her eyes.

"You got married, didn't tell or invite any of us and then you get pregnant."

You smiled sheepishly while Will nodded. It was your fault for not telling them but everyone was so busy these days and the two of you were too awkward to start a random conversation and lay it all on them.

"Well, what were we supposed to say? 'Hey guys, we got married on holiday and we're pregnant with the first Halstead grandchild whose actually a boy if you were wondering."

"Yes!" Jay nodded, feeling like pulling his hair out from the stress of his older brother and his now sister in law. "You say exactly that!"

"Well..." You smiled, doing jazz hands. "Surprise! We're having a boy!"

"Oh my gosh."

You laughed heartily watching Jay's retreating figure.

"Maybe we should wait to ask him to be the godfather."

"Oh definitely."