When he's good with Kids (II) - Jay H

A/N: A part two was requested like a hundred years ago on my tumblr and I finally got around to doing it so here, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Warnings: Brief mentions of hospitals and illness.

*****

Riley's third birthday was coming up and you'd been told by several mothers that toddlers never remembered these early birthdays, so there was no need for you to go all out on her birthday party.

Deep down, obviously you knew the first few years of her life would be years she wouldn't remember but you would. Her baby and toddler years were precious to you and the fact that she was growing up right before your eyes, it was slightly emotional even if she wasn't your own child.

Her first and second birthday were a little more lowkey in the sense it was the two of you and the rest of intelligence. While it was nice and fun, Riley deserved so much more for her third, especially after the year she's had.

Riley's meningitis diagnosis was daunting and for a while, you genuinely thought that was it and Riley wasn't going to make it. It had been a very long and hard year but your support system grew.

Jay had gone from a friend and colleague to your boyfriend of just under a year. It definitely took him a while to get the guts to ask you out but after that, he made no mistake and for the most of it, it had been smooth sailing.

He had been your biggest rock all throughout Riley's illness, being with you inside and out of the hospital. Not only did he help you but he was there for Riley and it was safe to say he had the Riley stamp of approval. Jay was the most nervous about your baby sister rejecting him.

The doctors and nurses at Med soon became a staple in your life. Yes, you had been friends with them before but during such a time with Riley, they were the biggest help. So, all throughout the year going in and out the hospital and going through gruelling nights hearing Riley struggle and cry her little heart out, you couldn't have wished for anything more.

With Riley still in recovery, in the later stages, you were still relatively stressed. It was upon the insistence of Jay and the most wonderful Cindy Hermann that all the party preparation duties were taken off your shoulders.

Currently, the two of you were leaving the hospital after a routine check-up that established Riley to have a clean bill of health. The sheer joy that washed over you, went over Riley and stepping out the hospital you picked her up into your arms, spinning her around and relished in her adorable little giggles. Neither of your happiness could be contained, this was a long time coming.

"What's got my girls so happy?"

Jay's sudden appearance didn't scare you; you were too engrossed in holding Riley as tight as you could. Turning around, your smile widened at your unsuspecting boyfriend.

"She's perfect Jay. Riley's all healthy." Hearing it from the doctor was one thing but to have the words come from your own lips, it felt like a fever dream that you never wanted to wake up from.

"Really? This is amazing, Riley!" Jay's eyes widened; his initial shock instantly overridden by pure joy. "Riley, look at you go!"

Jay wasted no time in coming forward and enveloping you both in his arms, tightening around you as he rocked side to side. You laughed into his shoulder as Riley squealed in delight from being showered with love.

This exact moment, you wanted to live in it forever.

"I can't believe it." Jay said, pulling away slightly so he could look at his girls but still having you both in his arms. "Talk about perfect timing."

And on that note, making eye contact with Jay, you had a silent conversation with your eyes before you both looked down at the toddler that still sat perched on your hip. "Happy birthday Riley!"

If you didn't know what lay ahead of you, then this would've been the happiest you've ever seen Riley but a certain Mrs Hermann and Detective Halstead went above and beyond.

*****

"Shut the front door." You exclaimed, whipping your head around to stare at the pair incredulously, your swearing alternative not confusing them. "You did all of this in two hours?"

Their smug smiles told you everything you needed to know.

"Riley deserves the world Y/N. We're more than happy to help give it to her." Cindy said, pulling you into a side hug and rubbing your arms comfortingly. "Now, all I want you to do is relax. Leave everything to us."

"But-"

"There's no point in fighting her, you'll never win." Jay shrugged, stepping into your space when the older woman let you go to put the finishing touches on the food.

"Both of you L/N's deserve everything the world has to offer and more." Jay started, both his hands gently holding your waist while yours went up to interlock around his neck. "All of this is nothing, trust me."

Just as you opened your mouth to object, Jay covered your mouth with his hand and raised a brow at you questioningly.

"I love you and Riley a bit too much, so much so it should be studied. I want neither of you to forget, capiche?"

As he said that, you could briefly hear the children laughing to their hearts content in the garden. Since arriving, Riley had obviously been received with open arms and was carried around like she was the queen.

When you tried to get her to calm down, Jay only shrugged his shoulders saying it was what she deserved.

Over the past year, Jay had grown to love Riley like she was his own. He was so attentive and loving and never made a mistake, he was so perfect that if you weren't so utterly infatuated with him, you'd be annoyed.

But Jay was everything you needed and more. He ticked all your boxes and some you didn't even know you had. And for the foreseeable future, you'd keep him here with you and Riley.

And there was no way Riley would object to that notion. In about thirty minutes when she opens her gifts, she was for sure never going to let him go.

You had to be careful and look out for who got the preferred treatment from the toddler. Over your dead body were you going to let Jay become the favourite.