First day with a star

The next morning, Wooyoung arrived at San's apartment at 6:45 am. He waited drumming nervously on the steering wheel; should he have called him to tell him he had arrived? In the end fortunately it was not necessary, because at 7 o'clock sharp San emerged from the elevator. He was dressed in a comfortable oversize jumpsuit, without any make up on. Like this, he looked less like a celebrity and more like a normal guy his age — sure, beautiful, but still normal.

Wooyoung hastily got out the SUV to open the door for him, but San only laughed.

"You know, you don't need to do these things. I can open the door myself. I already noticed it yesterday, but... you look like a kid on a first date."

Wooyoung turned bright red. He was only trying to "treat him with all regards, to the best of his ability" as he had been told to, but he had evidently misunderstood the meaning of that phrase. Or maybe everyone in that agency liked to make him uncomfortable by making inappropriate remarks.

Wooyoung quickly changed the subject. "I got you a few things. I don't know what you like yet. There's coffee, juice, tea, and a latte. Would you like anything?"

San took the coffee right away. "Thank you. I usually drink coffee without sugar. You can give these other things to the staff."

Wooyoung took a mental note, wondering how San could drink that bitter concoction that surely could not be considered a nutritious breakfast.

An hour's ride awaited them, and as San sipped his coffee slowly, Wooyoung decided to try and make conversation. He had never liked silence.

"Is it true that you write all of your songs?" he asked looking at him from the mirror.

"Yeah, it's my passion since I was a kid. What do you think? Do you like them?"

Wooyoung noticed that San was asking him in a sincerely interested and slightly hesitant way, as if he needed confirmation, even though he was one of the most established artists in the country. Therefore Wooyoung decided to weigh his answer carefully.

"Well, I'm not an expert, but in my opinion they are great songs. I can really feel your emotion when you sing... I think that's what catalyzes people's attention. But... the lyrics are really dark, personally I don't really relate to them that much, so I can't say it's my genre of music. I also find it very sad. That's why I was wondering if you really wrote it."

San nodded thoughtfully. "Thank you. I'm interested in the opinions of people my age. The people I talk to are usually older, or they work for me anyway and want to kiss my ass."

Wooyoung smiled. "I work for you, too."

"But for some reason you seem too spontaneous to launch yourself into a rant like everyone else."

"Yes, maybe you're right."

"Careful though, I prefer it, but if you were so candid with some of the other artists in the agency, you might get fired."

"I'll keep that in mind."

Wooyoung had to admit that he found the singer's company pleasant; in his presence he did not feel as awkward as he had feared. It seemed to him that San also felt comfortable around him; he probably did not have many friends if he had to ask a stranger for an honest opinion about his work. Wooyoung felt sorry for him, from a certain point of view.

When Wooyoung parked the SUV, he was confronted with an unexpected sight.

Hundreds of people were gathered in front of the studio where the interview was to be conducted, and as soon as Wooyoung had parked, they began pushing each other to get closer to the car and take pictures. Four built men dressed in black came out of the building, approaching the SUV, waiting for San to get out.