E i g h t

Douma's POV

I feel my heart stop for a second, if it is even beating.

"Why would you want to become a Demon slayer, my dear?" I ask, trying to sound casual. Kota blinks, then blinks again.

"Well, I can protect you from demons-" She shrugs. I chuckle. Dumb little girl.

"Well..." I start, pausing to think. "I'll think about it, my dear. Now, why don't you go and eat some lunch?"

She nods and jumps out of my futon. "Think about it! I think it's going to be fun!" She laughs, skipping out of the room.

As soon as the door to my room closes, I panic. 

I pace around my room, hyperventilating. I chew down my nails.

"Lord Douma?" One of the servant girls says, slide opening the door. "Sir Akaza is here to see you."

Perfect timing. "Akaza-dono!" I shout, grabbing onto his shoulders, shaking him violently. 

"Whaa-t do you wa-Aant-" He manages to say, swatting my arms away.

"We- we have a hugeeee problem!" I stuttered, which makes Akaza-dono suprised.

"What's the problem? Also I can't take you seriously with that face of yours."

I frown. "My dear Kota wants to become a demon slayer! What do I do!!!"

Akaza's eyes widen. "Why the heck would she-" he starts, but shuts his mouth. "..oh."

I glance at him. "You know something, don't you?"

He laughs awkwardly. "Well... she might've sneaked away from me while I was distracted by fireworks.. and she kind of went along with these 3 demon slayers and fought a demon..? And she also met some hashiras..."

"Akaza-dono! How could you!" I cry, plopping down on the ground. 

"Sorry..." He apologizes, scratching his head.

I glare at him. "Well it started with you so now you have to fix it!"

"What?" he groaned, resting his hand on his head. 

"No objections," I declared, pointing at him.

"Fine. Not because I want to agree with you, but because I know I started it."

I grin. "I can always count on you, Akaza-dono!"

"Shut up."

Kota's POV

I entered my room and shut the door. I hope he'll say yes. I'll promise that I'll become strong enough to protect him!

I squeal in excitement, jumping up and down.

Calm down, I tell myself. Don't get your hopes up just yet.

I breathe in deeply as the door to my room opens, and Akaza is standing there. 

"Hey Akaza-dono! What's up?" I greet him, grinning. But he looks dead serious, so my smile drops a little.

"Hey, umm, Kota... Soooo bad news-" He starts, crossing his arms.

"What's the bad news..?"

"You can't be a demon slayer." He says. My heart drops.

"But- I can protect people! Like, literally protect people from these man-eating idiots." I argued, making Akaza flinch a little. 

"Jeez, you didn't need to call them idiots..." he mummers. What?

"They are all idiots! Why don't you understand??" I groan, stomping my feet on the ground.

"Whoaa- Act your age please. And this conversation is over. You can't be a demon slayer. It's your father's orders." He finishes, and closes the door to my room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mumble to myself as I walk down the forest. I got permission to go down to town today. Why are they saying no? It'll be so cool to be a demon slayer...

I glance over to my right and spot something red.

Blood.

My face goes pale as I run towards the blood. I see a girl my age lying in it. Maybe a year or younger.

"Oh my god!" I shout, shaking the girl. "Are you okay, miss? Miss? Can you hear me?"

She flutters her eyes open, groaning painfully. She's not dead!

"Hold on, miss! I'll treat your wounds... can you get up? I'll support you. My place isn't very far from here."

She shivers and pulls herself up. She stopped bleeding a little bit, but it looked like she didn't have enough strength to put pressure on it.

I placed my arm around her stomach and carried her. I stopped in front of our gate and collapsed. "Akari!!"

A few moments later, Akari comes rushing out. "Yes, Miss Kota?"

Does she not see this injured girl???? "Take her in and treat her wounds. Bring her to me when she's feeling okay."

Akari nods and takes her in. I sigh and stay sitting, because I have no strength to move.

"You walked for ten minutes... carrying that girl... You're way too weak... to become a demon slayer." I hear a voice. I whip my head around to see who it was.

I freeze. 6-eyed demon was standing before my eyes.