S e v e n t e e n

Kota's POV

"K- kochou-san!" I stutter, stopping in my tracks. What's she doing here?

"What are you doing out here so late, Kota? You should be in bed!" 

I quickly thought up a lie. "I just needed to stretch my legs out a little. Also I couldn't fall asleep because of the new surroundings. How about you, Kochou-san?"

She smiles. "I'm on my way to a mission! And I'm sorry you didn't quite feel at home. But please be careful while walking around at night! You're not fully trained yet."

I returned her smile and nod. "Alright! Be safe, Kochou-san!"

She waves and walks off further into the village. I hold my hand which is shaking. That was close.

I walk slowly towards the mansion, looking up at the stars. I lean my head back a little more, but I can't keep my balance. I fall right to the ground. 

"That's fun." I whisper under my breath, getting up and cleaning myself.

"Well, well!" Someone says behind me in a cold voice. I turn around. "I've got myself a free meal here!"

A demon.

What am I supposed to do? Kill it? But aren't I on Muzan's side? If I kill him, will I get killed by Muzan? But if I don't kill him, will I get caught by the hashiras and possibly get executed? 

I shake my head and slowly pull out my training katana. It's not an official katana like the others, but it'll do for now.

"Oh! And also a slayer! That's even better!" The demon smiles unpleasantly. I grip onto the handle tighter.

I breathe in deeply, and blink. I open my eyes widely and jump backwards. It's... dead.

"You good?" I hear a voice coming from beside. Akaza?

I turn. "Akaza! What are you doing here?"

He shrugs. "I was bored, and then I saw you with that creepo." 

"Wait, you're allowed to kill your own kind?" I ask, confused.

"Sometimes."

I put my katana away, and examined the dead demon who is now turning into ashes. That's gross.

"I have a question." I turn my gaze back to Akaza. "Am I allowed to kill demons? If I do, will I be killed by Muzan-sama?"

He thinks about it for a second. "I'll ask. I'll send you a letter when I know the exact answer. For now, I need to go. The Sun is rising."

I nod and wave goodbye. He dashes into the forest.

--------------------

It's now morning, and the birds are happily chirping. I'm sitting beside a little pond, playing with the water.

"Kota! You're awake early!" I hear Rengoku-san's voice booming beside me.

"Rengoku-san, what are you doing here?" I ask, since he does not live here.

He takes a seat beside me. "I just wanted to check up on you guys!"

"I see." I say, ending the conversation. I turn my focus back to the waters. 

"Tomioka says after a few weeks of training, you will be able to go to the final selection! I'm so proud of you, little flame!" He laughs, and ruffles my hair.

"Final selection? Really?" I mutter, scratching my head. I'm not sure if I'll be ready in a few weeks time.

"That just means you're a natural! I heard that you were good at hand to hand combat! It's a useful skill to have!"

I flinch. This guy has a loud voice. I got up from the stiff position I was in and stretched my arms. "I'll go train more then. Good bye, Rengoku-san." I say quietly and walk away. I feel kind of guilty leaving him like that, but I have to remember not to get attached. I already got fond of Tomioka-san, so I won't mess up again.

I grab my wooden katana and start swinging it. I'll swing it 500 times today, maybe even more if I can manage. 

I swing my katana 20 times when I hear Tanjiro behind me. "Kota! Can I join you?"

I look back and nod. He grabs his katana and stands beside me. I start swinging again. 

"How was your night, Kota?" He asks. 

"Not bad." I answer simply, focusing on my swings.

We stand there swinging quietly until I swing for the 500th time. 

--------------------

"Kota-chan!" I hear Zenitsu call. Why is everyone calling me so much? "Want to train with me?"

"Sure, why not?" I say and toss him a spare wooden katana.

We get into position, and I grip my hands around the handle. "Don't chicken out."

"Probably will." He pouts, shivering. "But I heard you were going to the final selection soon. I passed... somehow. I'm probably going to die any days-"

"Okay, can we actually train please?" I interrupt, dashing towards him. He shrieks but blocks my attack.

"ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?" He cries, shivering in fear.

"This wooden katana couldn't possibly kill you, Zenitsu." I roll my eyes as I get ready for another attack.

"If you beat me with it hard enough, it sure will!!"

-------------------- 

I grinned when I successfully tired Zenitsu to death.

"Kota-chan!! How do you have so much Stamina? It's been 2 hours!!" He cries, lying on the floor.

"Training." I answer, and give him a cup of water. He takes it, and drinks it in a flash. "Get some rest. I'll get going now," I say walking away.

I look up to the sky and the Sun is setting. I'm lost in the sunset when I bump into someone.

"Ow-" I rub my eyes and scatter back. I look up and see Uzui-san. 

"I saw your flamboyant combat over there!" He says, posing like he just killed 200 demons. "Very flamboyant! You're skilled!"

I can see Rengoku-san and him being best friends. I bow slightly and hurry to get past him.

"Your personality is a lot like Tomioka's!" I can hear his booming laughter becoming smaller behind me.

I climb up to the roof and settle down. I decided to watch the sunset. As I'm watching the Sun go down by the second, someone taps me on the shoulders. I turn and see Yasu standing beside me.

I get up quickly and try to avoid her by walking away, but she grabs me by the haori.

"Kota," she says quietly. "What are you doing here?"