T w e n t y

Kota's POV

"Y-you can talk?" I stammer, thinking I've gone mad. 

"Yes, I can. Now if you'll please listen to me, you have a mission planned right after you receive your katana. I suggest you go home and get ready for the mission. Your uniform will be handed out to you by the Insect Hashira. Please get going."

I obey the bird's words and start heading home. It's crazy that it can talk. At least I'll have someone- I mean some bird to talk to.

"Right. Do you have a name?" I ask. 

"I do not have a name." It replies. 

I puff up my chest, and grin. "I shall give you a name! How about..." I think carefully. "Yuki!"

"Why Yuki?" It asks.

"Why do you have to ask? Do you not like it?" I pout, losing my confidence.

"I don't mean I don't like it. I'm just curious." 

Thank goodness. "Well, you look like a fluff of snow, and 'Yuki' means snow. Also it's short so I won't forget."

"I like that name. Thank you for giving me a name- uh,"

"Kota."

"Right. Thank you for the wonderful name, Miss Kota." Yuki thanks me. We talk to each other for a while, until my throat goes dry.

--------------------

"Tomioka-san!!!" I shout as I dash into his room. He is sitting on his futon, stunned by my grand entrance. I run up and hug him tightly. "I'm back!!! I told you I'll live!"

He is quiet for a second. I feel his hand gently pat my back. "Congrats."

"Tomioka-san," I say letting go of him. "I want you to meet Yuki!"

"Yuki?" He questions, looking confused. I bring Yuki out from my back and show him.

"Ta taa!!" I grin as Yuki stands there calming her feathers. 

He studies her, and looks up at me. "A shima enaga, huh?"

"Isn't she so cute?" I squealed. She is literally like a ball of cotton!

"I guess so."

I feel like I forgot to ask... "Oh! Where's my uniform??"

"Right here." He holds out a neatly folded uniform and hands it to me. 

"Oh my God, can I try it on?" I say taking the uniform from the grip of his hands. He nods. 

I run into my room and shut the door, changing quickly out of excitement. I put on my haori and my hair pin. Perfect.

I go into Tomioka-san's room again to show him how I look. "Do I look cool?" is the first thing I ask.

"You look..." he pauses, looking up and down at me. "...like any other demon slayers would look."

My excitement deflates. "Come on, Tomioka-san! You can compliment me better than that!" I whine, sitting dramatically onto the floor.

"Fine. You look half-decent." 

I cross my arms. "You did better, but not good enough. I'll let go of it though, since you seem like you can't compliment anything."

"Thanks." He says with sarcasm in his voice. I grin. It's actually good to be back.

--------------------

A few weeks have passed, and my katana finally arrived with that Hotaru guy. He has a funny mask. I accidentally laughed at his appearance, which made me earn a smack on the head by Tomioka-san.

"Here is your sword," Hotaru says carefully handing me my sword. I grab its handle and lift it up. I gasp when the blade's color start changing.

The blade slowly started in icy blue, ending in the color white. Looking at the colors sends chills down my back. It also has some ice designs on it.

"Whoa, cool!" I exclaim as I turn the sword around. "This sword is so cool! It changes colors?"

Hotaru suddenly smacks me on the head. "Cool or not, be careful using it! You have zero brain up there, right??"

I rub the back of my head and whine. "Tomioka-san, he's bullying me!"

Before Tomioka-san can join in the argument, Yuki interrupts. "Miss Kota, please report to the flame hashira's estate. You must go to your first mission."

"Oh, right! I'll get going now." I reply, grabbing my uniform since I'm still in my night clothes.

"Stay safe." Tomioka-san whispered under his breath. I smile before running into my room to change.

After I changed, I walk out into the living room putting on my hair pin. I grab my new sword, and run out. "Bye Tomioka-san! Bye weird mask guy!"

When I'm dashing towards the flame estate with Yuki, all I can hear in the distance is "Don't you dare break the sword!!!"

--------------------

With the directions that Yuki gives me, I managed to arrive in the flame hashira estate. I peek around the fence and look inside their property. 

"May I help you?" A little boy's voice surprises me, and I turn my head. 

He looks like Rengoku-san, just much shorter and younger.

"I'm here for the flame hashira." I say in a blank tone. He blinks, then blinks again.

"My brother? He's just over by the porch over there." He points at the hashira I was looking for.

"Thank you. May I ask what your name is?"

"My name is Rengoku Senjuro." He replies quietly, tightening his grip on the broom he is holding.

"Nice to meet you Senjuro. I am Kota." I simply introduce myself and walk towards Rengoku-san.

He looks up and spots me. "Hello Kota! I heard this is your first mission! I'm glad to accompany you!"

I nod, making sure to keep my face blank. I've learned a lot from Tomioka-san.

"Well, this is going to be-" Rengoku-san is cut off by a loud crashing noise. I turn around and see a man coming forward. I can smell the alcohol on him.

"What's with all the noise out here?" He grumbles, standing straight in front of me and Rengoku-san.

Rengoku-san gets up. "Father! Meet Kota-" He is stopped when his dad slaps him across the cheeks.

Senjuro whimpers at a distance, unable to do anything. Rengoku-san stays where he is, not saying anything.

"I don't want to hear you talk!" His father yells, and raises his arms to slap him again. I swiftly go between his father and him, and stop his arm from slapping Rengoku-san.

His father gritted his teeth. "Who are you to bother what I am doing? Let go of my arm this instant!"

I give him a blank expression, gripping his arm tightly. "I'm sorry sir, but we must get going. We don't have much time left."

I swat his arm away and nudged Rengoku-san to come with. He glances at his father and beams. "I'll be heading out now father. Please take care of yourself."

I stand there by the gate and wait for him to finish talking to Senjuro, who looks worried. He pats him on the shoulders and walks towards me. 

"Let's go." He says, and starts running to our destination. I silently follow him.

"You didn't have to stop my father back there," he suddenly says, making me glance up at him.

I stay silent for a moment. "Why didn't you stop him?"

"It doesn't hurt. I'd rather him get his anger out on me than Senjuro." He replies, still keeping up with his pace.

I open my mouth but close it again. I have nothing to say. "Where are we headed to?" I ask of the only thing I can think of.

"We're heading to the Mugen train."