prologue

1992, September

1992, September

"But Mom, I really don't want to go to this boarding school." A blonde girl stood at the entrance of a train station. Her loud complaints drew questioning looks from the strangers near her— not because she was talking about a boarding school, but because her American accent stuck out. This was her first time in England, the American girl who was currently arguing with her mother had found out only days ago that she'd be leaving for a boarding school.

A school she'd never heard of in a completely different country. Her mother had suggested a boarding school after her father had passed away but never mentioned it again until three days prior to them flying to England.

Her mother rolled her eyes, "Scarlett, it isn't just a regular boarding school. It's for people like you."

"What do you mean 'people like me?' You keep saying that but that's so vague."

Her mother gives her a pity smile, as if it pains her to say it, "You're a wizard, Scarlett."

"I'm a what?" Scarlett asks, a look of disbelief taking over her entire face.

"A wizard. Your father was a wizard and so was I. We kept you out of the Wizarding World due to a war where my family happened to choose the wrong side. That's all I can tell you for now, please write to me when you get to Hogwarts, I want to know what House you get put into. You'll have an owl waiting for you there, as well as your robes and a wand. If you can, try and avoid the Malfoy's, I do believe my brother has a son around your age. Make wise choices and be careful with who you befriend. You should be very safe there. The Dark Lord is defeated. But there are still people who have his views— like my brother for example. Never judge someone for their blood status either. Oh! When you get there you'll most likely be sorted into Slytherin, it's a Malfoy trait, but there are good people and bad people. And unfortunately most of the bad people are in Slytherin, so choose your friends wisely."

"What? Slytherin? Blood status? A Dark Lord? Hogwarts? You waited until five minutes before I get on the train to tell me that I'm a wizard and have a cousin that I need to avoid?"

"Your father and I agreed to never send you here and raise you as normal as we could, but he's not here anymore and you need to be somewhere that you'll be protected. This is what's best. I've already reached out to Professor Dumbledore, he'll be more helpful than I am. I wish we could talk more but I need to get you to Platform 9 3/4's quickly."

She scoffed, "There's no such thing as a 9 and 3/4's train."

Her mother rolled her eyes, "Yes there is, it's right behind that brick wall."