twenty one

13 July, 1997 (9:41a.m, Friday)

Astoria was sprawled out on the couch of the drawing room, Scarlett was lying on the floor. Draco and Theo were off somewhere, neither of the girls knew where, though.

Scarlett had dance lessons in nineteen minutes and Astoria wanted to watch her practice.

Adrian wasn't there yet but Scarlett was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. He still had nineteen minutes to show up.

"It's so hot." Astoria complained as she fanned herself.

"The floor feels so good. It's so cool." Scarlett said, propping up on her elbows to look over at the brunette girl.

"Does your boyfriend planning on coming?" Astoria asked.

Scarlett shrugged, "Who knows. Theo's nowhere to be found."

Astoria looked over at her confused, "I'm talking about Adrian."

"I know that. I'm just saying if he doesn't show up then I'm screwed because I don't know where Theo is either."

"Oh."

Scarlett sighed, "I never should've picked Adrian as my date."

"Yeah, not your smartest idea."

Madam Sallow walked into the room, she didn't speak as she walked over and sat her folder and coat onto the table that she'd dragged in from the hallway before their first lesson. When she finally acknowledged them, she frowned, "Scarlett, your date looks different every week."

Astoria laughed.

Scarlett sat up from the floor, "My date is once  again a no show and I don't know where Theo is."

"So how do you intend to dance today?" Madam Sallow questioned. She looked down at her watch, they only had a few minutes left before practice was supposed to start.

Scarlett sighed, "Honestly, I don't know. I guess I could practice my steps myself. I could go ask Lucius where the boys are but I don't-"

Astoria, who had been watching this with an amused grin, interrupted, "I can be her dance partner for today."

Scarlett turned to the brunette, "Do you even know the dance?"

Astoria shrugged, "I had my ball last year, of course I know it."

"She'd better. I spent three months teaching it to her." Madam Sallow grumbled.

Scarlett looked over at Madam Sallow and then back at Astoria, "Well, I guess we can dance today."

-

Madam Sallow made them practice for three hours. She hoped that when it came time for Scarlett's dance that people would focus on her instead of Theo or Adrian because neither of them were there to perfect the dance. By the time Madam Sallow had decided that it was perfect, it almost one in the afternoon.

Scarlett's feet hurt and Astoria had a headache. After today, she never wanted to hear that stupid slow song ever again. When Madam Sallow finally clapped and gave a nod of approval, Scarlett collapsed onto the floor.