twenty two

14 July, 1997 (8:10p.m, Saturday)

Scarlett was standing in front of Narcissa's mirror. Narcissa was behind her lacing her dress up and trying not to cry.

"Scarlett, you look beautiful." She sniffled, "Watching you grow into the woman you are today has been one of my biggest honors. I know that moving in with us wasn't ideal at first, the circumstances were horrible but we are so blessed to have you as a part of our family. I don't even think of you as my niece. I think of you as my daughter, I know Lucius does too, and Draco sees you as a sister. I'm so glad to be standing beside you on your special day."

Scarlett wiped a tear, "Cissy, I love you all so much. Thank you for taking me in and raising me. I've loved every minute here and I-" she couldn't continue, she was crying. Narcissa pulled her into her arms.

The two women stood there, holding onto each other as Scarlett cried in Narcissa's arms. Narcissa was trying (and failing) at holding it together. She lifted her arm up to wipe another tear before glancing at the clock.

She pulled back from Scarlett, "Okay, we've got to fix your makeup. You have to be down there in ten minutes. I have two things that I have to give you." She walked over to her bedside table and pulled an envelope and a box from the drawer.

She sat on the bed and patted the spot beside her. She placed the box into Scarlett's hands. "This was your mother's. I know she would've wanted you to wear it on an important day like today."

Scarlett opened the box and inside was an emerald ring, there was an engraving on the inside of the band, it had an M for Malfoy.

"Cissy, this is beautiful, how did you get it?"

Narcissa smiled, "When we got the news that your mother was dead and that you were at Hogwarts, Lucius and I went to the school, then immediately after we went to America. We found your family's home and went inside. Lucius wanted to know how Cassandra had died. He had some suspicions so he wanted to investigate. When we had gotten there, the house was a mess, it seemed like she'd known that she was going to die because underneath her pillow was that letter and the ring. There was two letters actually, one for you and one for me. I've never read yours, my letter just instructed me to give it to you when I thought you were ready."

Scarlett felt a lump in her throat, she thought she might cry again, "What did your letter say?"

Narcissa sighed, "She wrote that she knew the risk of what could happen to her if she sent you to Hogwarts, but she knew it was the safest option for you. She said that she knew Lucius and I were your last of kin and she asked would we take care of you. I'm sure that if she had any other options then she would've picked someone else but I'm glad she gave us her blessing to raise you. But I knew today was the right day to give you her letter and ring."

Scarlett nodded, she slipped the ring onto her middle finger, it was the only finger that the ring fit and then she looked down at the letter. "Would it be okay if I waited to read this later tonight? I don't think I have much time left."

"Of course, I'll fix your makeup and then I'll go put it in your room in your desk drawer."

"Thank you."

It was 8:22, she needed to be down there in five minutes. Narcissa waved her wand around and fixed her makeup, removing her mascara that had ran and fixing her eyeshadow that smudged.