twenty six

15 July, 1997 (9:27a.m, Sunday)

Scarlett was sitting on the kitchen counter eating cereal when Narcissa walked in, "Good morning, Scarlett."

"Morning Cissy."

Scarlett was exhausted, her hair was a tangled mess because she didn't wash it before she went to sleep, her eyelashes were clumped together from the mascara and she had dark eye bags.

Narcissa grabbed an apple and took a seat on the bar stool across from where Scarlett was located on the counter. "Rough night?" Narcissa asked.

Scarlett nodded, "I couldn't sleep at all. I woke up at one o'clock and picked up where I had left off in my book and I finished it at two thirty. Then I tried to go back to sleep but that didn't work out very well and I just ended up tossing and turning all night."

Narcissa nodded, "Want me to make you a sleeping draught potion for tonight?"

She shook her head, "No thanks, I might go to Tori's."

"Tori's or Theo's?" Narcissa teased.

"Who's going to Theo's?" Lucius asked as he walked into the kitchen.

Scarlett looked down at her cereal. "No one, dear. Scarlett and I were joking about Draco. You know, he's always at one of their houses."

Lucius nodded, "Yes, he is, I've noticed that too. You'd think he'd want to spend time with his father but no." He complained.

"I'll spend time with you, Luci." Scarlett offered.

Narcissa looked over at Lucius and smiled, "Isn't that so sweet of her?"

"It'd be sweeter if she didn't call me Luci."

Narcissa swatted his arm, "Lucius!"

Lucius sighed and turned to Scarlett, "Scarlett be ready in an hour, I have to go into Hogsmeade for some business. We can get lunch together afterwards."

"Yes sir!" She jumped off the counter and skipped out of the room and up the stairs.

-

So that is how Scarlett ended up sitting in the back office of Borgin and Burkes waiting for Lucius to finish talking with Mr. Burke. 

She was bored, she'd only been sitting for twenty minutes but it was twenty minutes too long. There was a weird noise coming from a box but she didn't dare to investigate. There was a Death Eater mask on the table, a human skull on the floor, and a bunch of eerily beautiful necklaces.

She was scared to touch anything so she was sitting with her hands in her lap.

Finally, Lucius opened the door, "Let's go."

She jumped up and followed him out of the room being careful not to hit anything with her feet.

She followed him out of the building, staying close by him as they made their way through Knockturn Alley.