Chapter 6

I feel the wind pass by my ear, my hands trying to desperately reach for something to hold on to as I try to stop myself from falling.

Why didn’t I think about my golden core!? The thought flashes through my mind, as I prepare to make contact with hard ground.

But instead, I feel arms around my waist pulling me forward which makes me bump face-first into a chest. I try to grasp the sleeves of the person’s robes but fail to do so. When I feel myself slipping again, I feel another pair of arms circle my waist holding me steady.

I grasp the sleeves tightly this time trying to find my footing. Which I find on the swords of the two people holding me up, I let out a sigh of relief. I was squished in between them which was a really awkward position. But I was thankful nonetheless.

But what catches me off guard is the scent of the person I am holding the sleeves of. It smelled like the incense sticks they burn here in cloud recess and like tea with a hint of sandalwood.

And it was very familiar, where did I smell this before?

Then another scent evades my noise, this time it smelled like lotus flowers and… wait.

Sandalwood and lotus. That smelled like…I open my eyes to see brown eyes gazing back, very familiar brown eyes.

I let out a yelp moving back out of instinct but bump into another chest, I turn my head around to see grey eyes staring at me.

I feel the color drain my face. The two people I was in between Jiang Cheng and Xichen-ge, and I was in the air off the ground.

This was not good.

They both start to lower me to the ground on their swords, not saying a word. The wind passes by, making my robes flutter and my hair flies all around.

I look down at all the Nie disciplines who were looking away, I could see their red faces from trying to hold in their laughs.

I feel the heat make its way up to my cheeks, this was embarrassing beyond words. Not to mention, that I was in between both of them. Which made it worse for me as the confession flashes in my mind.

Why do things never work out for me? I thought it would be better this time around now that I’m older from experience and ended up back in time.

They land their swords on the ground, I instantly move away from both of them. I’m pretty sure saving the person who confessed to you and made you uncomfortable wasn’t that great.

I bow down, “Thank you for saving me.” I whisper out, my voice a bit weak from the shock of falling.

“Are you dumb!?” I hear Jiang Cheng yell. I look up in surprise his jaw was clenched, grey eyes like little storms.

“W-what?” I stutter out, why was he so angry?

He approaches me, holding me by the shoulders eyes looking over me frantically. “You could have gotten hurt! What gave you the stupid idea to do that? Huh!?”

I just blink at him I thought I was making them uncomfortable, especially after the confession.

“I agree with Young Master Jiang.” I hear Xichen-ge say, I look over at him. He had a frown on his face, but what really threw me off were his eyes he looked worried.

“You could have gotten severely hurt.” He says, He walks over to us and puts his hand lightly on my arm.

I freeze in place, my brain trying to catch up with everything. They both looked more worried than uncomfortable, am I seeing and hearing things wrong?

“I-um…” I stutter, their hands on my shoulders and arms not letting me think.

“Young master are you alright!?” I hear Jin Guangyao run over, he looks at me in worry. “My heart almost stopped when I saw you fall.” He lets out a sigh.

I frown at his words but don’t say anything.

“Thank you for catching him, Young master Jiang, Sect leader Lan” He bows, to the two figures still surrounding me.

Jiang Cheng slowly lets go of my shoulder stepping back I see something flash in his eyes but it’s gone as soon as it comes. While Xichen-ge’s hand lingers on my arm before he too lets go of my arm turning to face jin gayao.

“It is no big deal,” Xichen-ge says. “Also I think I have already told you no need for the formalities Meng Yao.” He smiles at him, a calm aura around him.

“I’m afraid I had forgotten, Zewu-jun.” He says smiling, and slightly tilting his head to indicate a slight bow. He turns his attention back to me, “Is young master alright?” He asks again.

I nod, “I’m fine.” I say, my voice coming back to me.

Well…I glance at Jiang Cheng and Xichen-ge before looking at the ground. Half fine, I let out a sigh I should have thought about my golden core before I got on my sword. I caused trouble for both of them.

“Sorry for the trouble.” I say, “I thought I could ride it by myself, I thought I could do it.” I chew my lip in embarrassment. I let out a sigh, “but I guess not.” I mutter, playing with my sleeves.

I feel their eyes on me.

“You should be more careful…” I look up to see Xichen-ge turn towards me, “It would make me very upset if you got hurt.” He says, eyes soft as he gazes at me.

Upset?

“You shouldn’t be doing things like that without someone being there to look over you.” Jiang Cheng says, coming from behind Xichen-ge. “You are too delicate for that.” He mutters, looking away as if to hide his face. I see his neck turning red, making its way up to his face.

Delicate?

I feel my heart flutter at their words, my cheeks heating up for the first time not in embarrassment.

Did they like me back? I feel my eyes widen at the thought. No. They are only saying this because they take me as their younger brother and friend. Nothing more.

I wasn’t that great to be liked by them anyway. The second young master of the Nie clan, who was a whiner. And not good at anything which involved cultivation, unlike Jiang Cheng and Xichen-ge one of the most famous cultivators in the world.

I also didn’t have the best qualities in well…anything. I wasn’t the smarter of my peers or the strongest.

“About what happened in the courtyard…” Xichen-ge starts, looking at me with a hesitant look in his eyes.

I felt myself turning pale, did they want to make the rejection clear? Tell me they cared but not in that way? Or…no, there was no way they would like me anyways.

“I don’t mean to be rude.” We turn around to see Jin Guangyao looking apologetic. “Sect Leader told us to leave as quickly as we could. And I think a further delay would make him more angry.” He explains.

“Ah. Right.” Xichen-ge says, “Mingjue had sent me a letter as well.”

He steps away from me, “I should not delay you any longer, have a safe journey Huaisang.” He smiles, looking a bit upset.

“Don’t do anything stupid along the way.” Jiang Cheng says, crossing his arms before stepping away from me as well. “Bye.” He averts his eyes to the ground.

I nod faintly “Bye.” I whisper, bowing before turning away.

This time I let Jin Guangyao rid my saber, he holds out his hand which I take mounting behind him and holding his shoulders as we rise up from the ground, and make our way to Qinghe.

I feel eyes on me, but shake it off it’s not like they would care that much anyway…the whole journey the only thing in my mind is flashes of their eyes and their words.

It can’t mean anything more than just caring for a friend and younger brother…right?

(A/N: What is your favorite part about this chapter?)