Chapter 17

“Da-ge, did he do something?” I ask my brother, watching as he snaps out of his thoughts and looks at me.

“Wha-how did you know he did something wrong?” He asks me in shock, I frown as he says that. So Jin Guangyao did do something, I wonder what he did? He couldn’t have stabbed our general like last time.

 Nothing was lining up with the events of the past, so the chances of something repeating itself were very low, in theory. 

“You trust Meng Yao a lot, Da-ge,” I point out to him, “So for you to be angry at him is very unusual,” I explain to him, he flinches at my statement. His eyes widen as he looks at me in disbelief.

“When did you get so good at knowing what’s going on? Especially with me?” He murmurs the last part under his breath his eyes scanning my face, still in shock at what I said. 

 I shrug at his question, stopping the smug look I could feel coming on my face. I knew I shouldn’t feel so proud about it. But seeing his face of surprise? I almost couldn't help myself. Because it’s not every day I get to surprise him.

 Instead, I just let out a soft sigh before continuing to speak.

“Da-ge…” I smile softly at him, “It’s easy for me to tell what you are thinking, I am your younger brother after all.” I finish cheerfully, winking at him jokingly to lighten his mood.

He raises his eyebrow at my remark, looking at me suspiciously. “Right.” He says not fully convinced, his eyes narrowing a bit. 

I keep smiling at him as I ask, “So, what did he do Da-ge?” He stiffens, as I question him again. 

I watch him try to form words, his mouth opening and closing several times. Before he clears his throat and averts his eyes from me not wanting to answer the question. 

But I lose focus as a thought runs through my head. 

Now that I think about it… I hadn't seen Jin Guangyao after I had run to the prison cells to distract the Wens from him and the two younger disciplines. And he wasn’t in the room, which didn’t make sense since he was my personal attendant.

And my brother did seem very angry at him. But even if my brother was upset at him, he wouldn’t stop Jin Guangyao from being in the room because he was my attendant. So for my brother to not even let Jin Guangyao be in my room, meant he did something very bad…

I recover from my thoughts, as my brother speaks up. 

“I know you won’t believe me Huaisang,” He says. “Since you trust him as much as I did.” He continues, massaging his forehead with his right hand to calm down. “Even I can’t believe it yet, but I saw him stab one of the younger disciplines which were with him.” 

I pale slightly as I remember the two younger disciplines I had left him with. One of them was on the verge of fainting from what I seem to recall. 

He actually stabbed one of them!? They were young kids!

I scowl at the thought, harshly breathing out through my nose as I clench my fists in anger.

 I knew he couldn’t be trusted. Once a traitor, always a traitor. 

“Thankfully,” My brother resumes talking, “ We got the young one who was stabbed to the healer as soon as we could. He’s in stable condition now and on the road to recovery.” 

I feel tears of relief flood my eyes as I hear the news, letting out an exhale of breath.

At least the kid was going to be fine.