Chapter 13

I look at Lan Wangji who was glaring at Wen Chao. He still had a tight grip on his sword.  He couldn’t have said brother-in-law…right? Maybe my ears are betraying me.

I see my brother frozen in place right next to Lan Wangji his eyes were wide open in shock as he looked at him. But then he blinks and lets out a cough, composing himself, before he also glares at Wen Chao. Holding his saber at the ready.

“Did I hear that right?” Wen Chao asks a bit breathlessly, “Did you just call Huaisang Brother-in-law?”

So he did say brother-in-law, I feel a bit of warmth fill my chest, even if there was a sword pointed at my neck. He called me brother-in-law, which means he doesn’t hate me for marrying his brother. He accepted me into the family.

I almost smile at that thought, but stop myself. Smiling while having a sword pointed at my neck didn’t seem like a great idea.

I see as Lan Wangji’s lips turn downward in a frown at Wen Chao’s question before he nods his head slightly. His gaze was still sharp and his body tense ready to spring into combat if necessary.

I flinch as I hear a loud laugh close to my ear, and the sword at my neck loosens its hold. The blade which had been pressed into my skin gets pulled out, and I relax a bit.

The pain had reduced now that the sword was not digging into my neck, but it did leave behind a burning sensation as some drops of blood dripped out of my wound now that they had nothing to stop them from falling.

But what surprised me was Wen Chao was…laughing!?

“Y-you are kidding right?” He wheezes out, “Brother-in-law!?” The sword disappears from my view as Wen Chao takes it off my neck. I let out a sigh of relief, but instantly tense up again when I feel Wen Chao put a hand on my left shoulder and press down on it. 

I slowly look back and see him bending over in laughter using my shoulder as a support so he doesn’t fall down. I frown at the fact that he found me being Lan Wangji’s brother-in-law funny. But I quickly push that thought away, this was my chance! I could run away while he was distracted because of laughin--

I feel my left arm get pulled as Wen Chao turns me around to face him. He takes a hold of my jaw tightly. I flinch at the grip moving my hands to my jaw to take his hand off. But he doesn’t budge.

“What are you doing!?” I hear my brother yell out in anger, I see him hold his saber tighter his body tensing up. But not daring to take a step forward, even if there was no sword placed at my neck who knew what Wen Chao would do to me in the heat of the moment?

Wen Chao ignores my brother and moves my jaw around left and right looking at my face intently. His eyes looked like they were scanning every inch of my face and finding all the flaws on it, which from his expression of disgust looked like my whole face. Before letting out a snort as he starts laughing again.

“Zewu-jun is marrying you!?” He says in between laughing. “Listen up Everyone!! Huaisang is getting married to Zewu-jun!” He yells out and his words echo across the courtyard. No one pays attention as they are too busy fighting each other to hear what he said.

As much as I feel my heart hurt at the humiliation. I almost laugh as Wen Chao’s expression turns frustrated at the fact that no one was paying attention to him. But then he glares at the disciplines surrounding us, the ones which are supposed to protect him from any harm.

“Well?” He asks, his gaze sweeping over each of his disciplines one by one.

They all look at each other nervously before they start laughing as if he had said a very good joke, some even praising him for his sense of humor.