5. Getting started

Look out for the hidden book/movie quote in the chapter. Comment if you find it!

Sophie's P.O.V:

"Hey, Dex! Guess what!" Sophie said excitedly. She was looking forward to this party already even though it had only been 5 minutes since she was invited. She had never been to a high school party like this before so it was pretty cool that she got invited.

"Yeah?"

"Well, I got Marella, you, and me, all invited to a party on the weekend. This girl called Biana and her friend Linh invited us."

"Oh, do you mean Biana Vaker?? As in the Fitz Vakers sister?" Dex asked.

"Uh, I think so."

"Did she have teal eyes?"

"Yeah." "Well, that's Biana alright. She's one of the school's most popular and rich kids. I heard their dad Alden gives them new phones and $1000 dollars pocket money every month! There was also an older brother called Alvar but he got disowned because he went to jail or something." Dex explained

So I have just been invited to a popular girl's million-dollar mansion for a party?! Sophie thought. What the actual Frick?

"So yeah we've been invited to her brother's party. It's on weekend at their mansion." Sophie said

"Oh cool, I might go assuming my parents don't need me for babysitting duties. But for now, let's get onto studying." Dex replied.

They started studying. Well, Sophie started working on some of the assignments the teachers had given her and memorizing the school map. Then the bell rang. 

BBBBRRRRIIINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!

"Oop time to go!" She said to Dex as she packed up her stuff and ventured down the school hallway with a Map in hand to find her next classroom. His next lesson was History with Professor Bronte.  She eventually found it and found a desk at the back of the class and sat down. 

"Pssst." A voice said in her ear. She jumped and turned around coming face to face with...

Keefe's P.O.V:

Keefe had never thought today could get so interesting! First, he met this really cute girl. (Though how cute she was. Wasn't any of his business) Then he got blamed for a prank that he didn't do (The less said about the prank the better. But it was a pretty epic one though so he took the blame) And then he got a 95% in Maths. 

Now usually parents would be happy that their child got over 90 but no. Not his. He flashed back to the last time he'd got a score like that...

"Keefe! I have told you 100 times! You do NOT get any lower marks than 99%. And what's this draw all over the back of the test? Art? Honestly no wonder you only get 90%s. And one more prank and I will send you to Army Boot Camp" Lord Cassius (his dad even though he refused to call him that) Yelled at him.

It didn't matter how many pranks Keefe pulled though because the real reality was that his 'dad' couldn't be bothered to send him to boot camp. And with that, Lord Cassius (aka Daddy Dearest) threw the test paper along with the drawing on the back of it into the nearby fireplace. Ready to be kindling for the next fire of disappointment Keefe seemed to create. 

Keefe waited for Lord Cassius to leave before snatching up the test paper. Not to keep because of the results but because of the drawing. It was a bit smudged with coal but it was still worth keeping. A drawing of Ro (or Auntie Ro as his 5-year-old self would say) Ro used to look after/babysit when his parents when on MONTH-long trips around the world without him. Her dad was workmates with his 'dad' so she would come around quite often. She even had her own bedroom in their mansion. But lately, she had to go home because of some personal family issues.

He was really missing her sassy personality, Neon hair, and constant annoying him. LORD HUNKYHAIR!!! How many times do I have to say to you? I can pull much better pranks than the one you just pulled on me! Your dead meat! She would say. 

Ro was like an older sister to him. And he was really missing the Older Sister treatment.

Keefe sighed and sat down in the back of the History class.  Leaning back on his chair with his feet resting on the table he started scrolling through social media on his phone. He usually aced this class anyway so he didn't need to pay any attention. Bronte would just ignore him anyway. Otherwise, he would risk another fart bomb going off like the last time he called Keefe out.

He was just about to ditch class when he saw a familiar blonde girl stumble in. A gust of wind blew in her face and her blonde hair went flying as she rushed to the back of the class and sat down next to Keefe, fussing about with her books and papers. It was the new girl Sophie, who he had run into earlier and rudely not introduced himself.

Whether she recognized him or was ignoring him, he didn't know. But she didn't seem to see him so he leaned in a whispered: Psst in her ear. She jumped and whipped around coming face to face with him.

"Could you NOT?" She asked with a flurry of emotion. She glared at him before turning around to listen to Bronte who was talking about some atomic bomb thing. 

"It was just a joke" He muttered under his breath. Most girls who came face to face with him fell in love with him in an instant but she was different. He could almost taste her anger and fury. He was quite good at reading people's emotions. It also helped if he read people's facial expressions. She must be angry from the time she smashed into him in the hallway earlier. He thought.

Well, it wasn't exactly his fault. She sort of ran into him. And then stood there in shock. And like an idiot, he didn't help her get her books and stared at her back. What an introduction Keefe.

He was just about to ask her what was her next class was when she did something very weird. It was almost like he was watching her in slow motion. She reached up to her eye and tugged out a loose eyelash. It must not have hurt cause then she reached up and tugged out another one.

His face must have been a picture because she caught sight of him looking and hurt flickered across her face. But then she quickly covered it up with an embarrassed smile. 

"Sorry about that. It's a habit." She said in explanation of what she had just done. "It's okay. We all have our quirks." Keefe replied with a smile. Trying to make up for the face he had made at her earlier.

She was just about to say something in reply when her sentence was cut short by Professor Bronte entering the classroom 5 minutes late. (He made note of that in case he ever needed a reminder for whenever Keefe was late for a handy comeback)

"Turn to page 394." Professor Bronte said as walked up to the front of the room before turning adding "In your History textbook that is." 

The was silence for a few seconds before there was a flurry of paper as books and stationery were whipped out of the student's bags. Professor Bronte then turned and started writing questions for the lesson on the whiteboard.

Keefe sighed the next hour and a half of daily boredom in his life had officially started. And once that clock started ticking. All he could do was count down the minutes to the bell as Bronte drawled on about World War 2 and its History of it.