CHAPTER 3

After spending hours with Hagrid, travelling to reach Diagon Alley and Gringotts, Harry's spirits were soaring. They had just passed the Leaky Cauldron, where Harry had been showered in praise and thanks, with the only downside being Quirrell. Harry now knew that his greatest enemy sat on the back of Quirrell's head but right now, he wasn't entirely sure what to do about it. He was going to have to figure that out later.

"Might as well get yer uniform" Hagrid mumbled, jerking his head towards 'Madam Malkin's robes for all occasions'. "Listen, Harry, would yeh mind if I slipped off fer a pick-me-up in the leaky cauldron? I hate them Gringotts carts."

Harry thought that Hagrid did look a little pale, so he let him go and approached the small shop alone. The little bell on the door rang as he stepped inside and the smell of fabric hit his nose. All the robes smelt much nicer than any of Dudley's spare old junk. Harry glanced around, looking at robes of all shapes and sizes and then he saw him. That slick back blonde hair, pale face and green robes. Malfoy. Harry was instantly taken back to 7 years of pure annoyance, the source; the boy being fitted for robes in front of him. If Harry didn't do something different this time around, he was going to have to deal with 7 more years of animosity between them.

"Hogwarts dear?" asked Madam Malkin, breaking up his thoughts, "join that boy there on the footstool beside him, and I'll do your robes in a sec."

Harry went and stood awkwardly next to Malfoy as Madam Malkin slid a robe over his head and pinned it in all the right places.

"Hullo," The boy spoke in a drawling voice. "Hogwarts too?"

"...yes" Harry hesitated before answering. It was strange seeing a baby-faced Malfoy.

"My father's next door buying my books and mother's up the street looking at wands. Then I'm going to drag them off to look at racing brooms. I don't see why first-years can't have their own. I think I'll bully Father into getting me one and I'll smuggle it in somehow." Harry smirked, thinking of all the times he'd caught the snitch right in Malfoy's face.

"Play quidditch at all?" Malfoy asked, snapping him out of his thoughts. Oh, how Harry missed quidditch.

"Just a bit."

"Father says it's a crime if I'm not picked to play for my house-" Harry rolled his eyes, "- and I must say, I agree. Know what house you'll be in yet?"

"Gryffindor."

"I see," Malfoy said with an odd look on his face. "Better Gryffindor than Hufflepuff I suppose. I'm going to be in Slytherin of course."

"Of course," Harry responded before he could help himself, sarcasm dripping from each word. Malfoy, however, wasn't as bright at this age and didn't seem to catch the hidden message behind what Harry had said because he smirked at him. He was horrified. Malfoy? Smirking? At Harry Potter?

"Glad you agree. I say, look at that man!" Malfoy nodded at the window.

"That's Hagrid, I'm sure you've heard of him, he's Grounds-Keeper at Hogwarts."

"Well yes, he's a sort of servant isn't he."

"Not exactly," a scowl was finding its way to Harry's face.

"Why are you with him? Where are your parents?"

"They're dead."

"Oh, sorry." Malfoy said despite the fact he didn't seem very sorry at all. "They were our kind, weren't they?"

"If by our kind you mean a witch and wizard, then yes. But I don't think it should matter either way."

"Hmm, well, I don't think they should let the other kind in, they've never been brought up the same way."

"I think you'll find that some muggles exceed the abilities of certain wizards," Harry said looking Malfoy up and down, "and that you may find yourself being bested by one in every class."

Malfoy looked outraged that Harry could even fathom speaking to him that way.

"As if the day will ever come," He snapped. "What's your surname by the way?" Before Harry could answer, Malfoy was ushered out by Madam Malkin.

"I'll see you at Hogwarts, I s'pose," he said on the way out with a look upon his face that Harry had never seen before.

That was strange, he thought to himself as Madam Malkin also finished up with his robe, and he walked out the door.

~✦~

Meeting back up with Hagrid, Harry found himself yet again marvelling at Diagon Alley. Since he had last been here, back when he was finding a birthday present for Rose, Hermione and Ron's future daughter, it seemed like nothing had changed despite the timeline difference. Taking it all in, he didn't understand how his brain hadn't exploded the very first time he was here, with bright colours and noises coming from every direction.

"Just yer wand left - oh and I still haven't got ye a birthday present yet!" Hagrid exclaimed. Harry shook his head, repeatedly telling Hagrid it was no big deal but nothing could change Hagrid's mind.

"I'll get ye an owl. They're right helpful and much better looking than any ol' toad or rat."

Harry stood out the front of Eeylops Owl Emporium, fighting down tears. Memories of Hedwig flooded his brain and he bit his lip to stop himself from revealing any emotion. Harry watched as Hagrid burst out of the door, holding his beautiful white snowy owl. She really was amazing and this time Harry knew that he would have to save her, no matter the cost.