CHAPTER 12

The next day, Harry told Ron and Hermione about what had happened in the forest. He told them how Voldemort was the one drinking the unicorn blood, how his scar had hurt, and the truth about the Philosopher's Stone. He explained how the stone could make you immortal, something they had yet to find in their research. Harry knew Quirrell was going to try and steal the stone soon and decided to tell them about a conversation he had overheard Quirrell and Snape talking about it, some time ago. Ron seemed determined that Snape was the one trying to steal the stone but Harry knew otherwise.

They also had another problem. Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback. Hagrid refused to get rid of her claiming he could easily take care of her. The golden trio were constantly visiting Hagrid in his hut. Norbert was slowly growing in size and Hermione was getting more and more anxious about Hagrid being caught.

"There has to be a way, Hagrid, you can't keep him. It's against the law!" Her shrill voice filled the small hut.

"If you're caught, you could be thrown out," said Ron

"Hey, Ron," Harry started, "Doesn't Charlie work with dragons in Romania or something?"

"Oh yeah! Charlie could take care of Norbert for you, Hagrid."

Hagrid didn't look too keen to let go of Norbert, but he agreed to let Charlie take care of her.

The week dragged along slowly as the trio waited for a response from Charlie. It was Wednesday when they finally got it. The letter detailed a plan of how to get Norbert to Charlie and his friends secretly and quietly. They were to be at the astronomy tower on Saturday at midnight with Norbert.

There was a problem. Earlier that week Ron had been bitten by Norbert and his hand had swollen to twice its normal size. The letter to Ron from Charlie was inside a book Malfoy had stolen from him to make fun of his financial status. He knew about the plan to sneak Norbert out, but Harry doubted Malfoy knew who Norbert was. With their track record, they were going to have to be very sneaky or Malfoy would find and snitch on them. That Saturday, Hermione stayed asleep as she didn't want to get another detention while Harry and Ron snuck down to Hagrid's at 11:00 pm, giving them plenty of time to get Norbert to the top of the Astronomy Tower. Harry was still worried Malfoy would snitch on them. He could only hope their detention in the Forbidden Forest kept him from leaving his dorm at night again.

Harry was wrong. They were halfway up the multitude of steps in the Astronomy Tower with Norbert, hidden by the invisibility cloak when he saw the unmistakable blonde hair. Malfoy was sitting on one of the steps looking down, searching for any sign of movement. The emotion written on his face was unreadable. Harry put a hand out to stop Ron from walking on.

"I'll distract him. You take Norbert up to Charlie, that way, only one of us will be caught," Harry whispered.

"You sure mate?" Ron responded, his voice barely audible.

"Yeah," Harry cast a silencing charm on Ron's footsteps and instructed him to carefully edge his way around Malfoy.

Harry lifted the invisibility cloak off himself and told Ron, hoping he was facing him, to go.

"Malfoy!" Harry called, in a measured volume.

"Potter," Malfoy spat back. "Leaving your dorm again so late? What, do you think the rules don't apply to someone so famous?"

"I'm flattered you think I'm famous, but you're out late as well. I'm really starting to think that you're stalking me."

"Don't be daft. Why would I follow you around."

"Didn't you say in the forest," Malfoy's smirk faltered slightly at the mention of the forest, "that you fancy catching Gryffindors causing trouble? I'm a Gryffindor, and I'm always the one you seem to catch."