CHAPTER 15

"Play our way across the room? How?" Hermione asked nervously.

"I think we are going to need to be chessmen," Ron responded.

The trio glanced at the chess board and Ron walked over to a knight. He placed his hand on its mane and it instantly sprang to life. Harry took a bishop, and Hermione took a castle.

"What do I do?" Malfoy's voice came from the corner.

"Either choose a piece or stay there!" Harry called back.

Malfoy stomped over to a pawn and placed his hand on it, the piece sprang to life like the others.

"Uh... now what do we do?" Malfoy asked. Ron rolled his eyes and glared at Harry, blaming him for bringing Malfoy with them.

"Have you not been listening, Malfoy? We play." Ron said shortly.

As Ron said this, the four pieces they had chosen walked off the board allowing them to take their place. Harry gulped.

"In chess... White always goes first. Yes, Look," A white pawn had moved forward two squares. Ron directed the pieces, trying to keep the others out of harm's way. He almost killed Malfoy twice, whether it was on purpose or an accident, that remained unknown

Finally, the white queen turned to Ron.

"Yes... it's the only way, I have to be taken."

Hermione's eyes widened and she began to protest.

"No Ron! You can't!" She yelled.

"That's chess! You have to make some sacrifices. Harry, once I'm down you can checkmate the king."

Harry was hesitant but agreed anyway, knowing it was the only way to continue.

"Ok, I'm going," Ron's face was pale, "Don't hang around once you've won."

Ron took a deep breath, before walking towards the queen, and almost immediately, she knocked him out. Hermione screamed but stayed where she was, and Malfoy's face was covered in poorly hidden worry.

Harry moved forward three spaces and the white king threw his crown at his feet. They had won. Looking back at Ron, crumpled on the floor, he was tempted to turn around and run back, away from the danger ahead. But he knew he couldn't.

"Come on guys," he said in a quiet voice, "let's go."

The three leftover ran to the door, Hermione looked as though she was about to cry. They opened it and rushed down a corridor that smelled like old toilet water. It was a familiar smell from earlier this year. Together, they opened a second door at the end of the hall and were met with a knocked-out troll.

"We've done Professor Sprout, that was the Devil's Snare, Professor Flitwick - the keys, Professor McGonagall - the chess set, and this must have been Professor Quirrell's." Hermione said, "that only leaves Snape."

Malfoy looked disgusted at the smell.

"Let's go then!" He yelled, rushing towards the next door. Pushing it open and entering a dark room.

In it lay seven potions on a table and a note that read:

Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind,

Two of us will help you, whichever you would find,

One among us seven will let you move ahead,

Another will transport the drinker back instead,

Two among our number hold only nettle wine,