CHAPTER 9

After celebrating well into the night, Harry decided he needed a break. Christmas was yet to arrive so he didn't have his invisibility cloak, but he knew a disillusionment charm. Casting it on himself, he was careful to avoid watchful eyes as he snuck out of the common room later that night.

Wandering the halls, Harry thought back to the day's events and racked his brain, trying to figure out what on earth had happened earlier that day. It was on the edge of his mind, the tip of his tongue, but he just couldn't grasp it. Something was going to have to prompt it. He wandered past the paintings and watched as the people inside sleepwalked from frame to frame, trampling over the other paintings. Harry twisted and turned a few more times before coming across a door. A door that he vaguely remembered. Harry reached his hand out towards the door and slowly turned the handle, revealing an empty classroom. He walked around the room, trying to find a reason for his unexplainable feeling. As he was about to leave, under the impression that he had just had the wrong idea about this place, he saw it. The Mirror of Erised. The memories flooded back as Harry, trance-like, walked towards the mirror, hoping to see his parents once more. But this time it wasn't them.

Harry choked back a sob as he saw himself standing tall and proud, surrounded by Hermione and Ron and their baby Rose. He watched as they both looked down on her, so happy and laughed as she blew a bubble in her mouth. And Ginny. Standing next to him. Holding his hand. She rested her head on Harry's shoulder, and for a moment he felt her beside him, but when he turned he was all alone. Not being able to stand the sight of it, Harry fled, back through the halls, back past the paintings and straight into a solid wall. Wait, had that been there before? Harry tumbled to the ground and looked up.

It was Malfoy. Again. Harry still had the disillusionment charm on but it would probably wear off any minute now.

"Who's there?" Malfoy snarled into thin air, "I know that someone is here!" Malfoy glanced around, reaching his hand out. Harry only just stepped back in time to avoid his grasp, but he felt a trickle of hot water down his back, telling him his time was up and the disillusionment charm had run out.

"Potter," he spat, but it lacked the usual malice when their friends were around, "I should have known."

"Malfoy," Harry snapped back, "first the troll and now this? It's like you're stalking me," he said, having flashbacks to 6th year when he followed Malfoy around the castle to find out if he was working for Voldemort.

"I'm not following you, Potter, I was just walking around when you ran straight into me."

"Yeah right, you don't have to deny it."

Malfoy glared at Harry.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer," Harry said, rolling his eyes.

"Whatever. Why were you running anyways? Scared of your own shadow?"

"No, I was-" Harry stopped himself. Was he about to tell Malfoy about the mirror?

"Was what, Potter?"

"Nothing, forget it." Harry pushed past Malfoy and started on his journey back to the Gryffindor common room but he followed him.

"Tell me!" Malfoy demanded.

"No. Be quiet, you're going to attract Filch's attention. We're not exactly allowed out this late. Speaking of, why were you going on a walk at this time anyways?"

"I could ask you the same thing," Malfoy said with a pointed expression on his face.

"I'm not telling you. Stop following me!" Harry yelled.

Footsteps sounded from behind them along with the padded running of a cat.

"Who's there!" Came Filch's voice.