Chapter 2 - Turn of events

-

-

"is your man doing that party?" I asked Ava while having lunch, "yeah, friday night. You girls are all going right?" 

"Wouldn't be a party without us" Julia shrugged with a smug smile, I smiled and hit her arm playfully. "Wanna go out for dinner today? this new place opened up a few blocks from home" Lily suggested, I fake winced.

"Can't, got this new family to babysit for. Rich parents who don't give a fuck about their kids" I shrugged while taking a bite out of my burger, "sucks" Lily shrugged before taking a sip of her water. "Mhm" I hummed in agreement.

Ryle approached our table with a smug smile and I rolled my eyes in advance, "what do you want? I don't have to tutor you until later today" I scoffed before swallowing the bite I had taken out of my burger. "Wanna make sure that we're set for today, you going to Jacob's party?"

"Yeah, not like it's a date anyway. I'm going, not like it's any of your business" I shrugged. He chuckled and walked away with a teasing grin on his face, I rolled my eyes and turned back to my friends.

"He's totes into you" Lily spoke up, "You don't know what you're saying" I laughed, "I see him watching you" Julia teased. I rolled my eyes, "I hate you all".

-

When we headed out of the school I followed Ryle to his car, he went to open my door for me but I slapped his hand away. "I can open my own doors", he chuckled and shook his head, then he went to the driver's side and got in. We got a few weird looks from some people, people who were shut up by my death stare.

"Like?" he wanted to show off his car, "Shut up, Ryle" I scoffed, he sighed in defeat and started the car. "You got AUX?" I asked.

"Mhm" he handed me the cable and I plugged my phone in, "Yeah Pho, you can put your music. Thanks for asking"

I stared at him with a look that told him to shut up, I started playing my favorite; Coldplay.

"You like them?" he asked, "No, I think that they're total trash and I hope that they stop making music" I shot back sarcastically, he didn't get the sarcastic part. "Oh" he was confused. "That was a joke, Ryle. I was being sarcastic"

"Oh" he smiled. Viva la Vida started playing and I got excited, it reminded me of the days before mom's addiction, the days where it was Elijah, Noah and me against the world, plus dad who would support us in whatever we did, no matter how mad it would make mom.

I only realized that I was smiling once Ryle pointed it out, "I can't believe it, Phoebe Monroe smiling? Are pigs flying?" he teased

"Your teeth will be flying if you don't shut up" I spoke in all seriousness, my words laced with venom. "You think that you can take me down?" he chuckled.

Of course that I couldn't, I mean don't get me wrong, I know how to fight, Ryle is simply ten times bigger than me and a head taller than me. "My brothers can" I shrugged.