Chapter 5 - Twins

-

-

Despite Ryle... saving... me from Cam yesterday, all I wanted to do was avoid him. I hate the fact that he saw me vulnerable or as someone who needed saving.

However, I can't ignore him because today 'cause I'm babysitting Mia and Connor.

I knocked on the door and Miss. West opened it almost immediately, all dressed up and looking stunning as ever may I add. "Hi, Miss. West, you're looking good tonight. Where are you and David going to?" I asked with a kind smile plastered on my face. "Thank you, Phoebe. We're gonna watch some opera and then dinner, come in" she said with that heart-warming smile she always has on.

I walked in and Miss. West closed the door after her, Connor came running towards me for a hug, I kneeled and hugged him tight.

"Well hello there, little man" I picked him up, both of our smiles true. Miss. West watched us with an adoring look. Connor didn't want to let go, "Mia in her room, she likes you a lot and I think that something happened to her. Would-- Would you please talk to her?" as soon as those words came out of her mouth I knew that she regretted asking that of me, "of course, don't worry about it." I reassured her, she sighed in relief.

"So, David already left. The food is in the microwave and as soon as Ryle comes you're free to go. He knows what to pay you so it should be fine. I'm running a bit late so I have to get going." she spoke as she frantically searched for her keys.

I saw a slight glimmer on the counter and it was her keys. I handed them to her, "Thank you" she smiled and left, Miss. West locked the door behind her.

 West locked the door behind her

-

I got home earlier than what I told mom I would, after giving that asshole Cameron a bit of his own medicine Pho started avoiding me.

I unlocked the door and it was past the twins bedtime so that would give us time to talk. I walked in and closed the door behind me, I was careful with my steps so I would not wake the twins up.

Much to my surprise, I found Phoebe fast asleep, various books around her along pens, highlighters and whatnot. 

"Pho?" I whispered, she did not move an inch. I made my way towards her and squatted so my face and hers would be at the same level. I sighed and tucked a strand of her brown hair behind her ear.

She was for once perfectly relaxed, no worries, problems or anger showing. She looked adorable, something that I think only will truly show when she's at this state.

I didn't want to do this whole dare thing, but I have something to prove. Maybe-- no. I will enjoy this, because even if I don't want to admit it, this woman has an effect on me. I would normally never care at all about any girls at our school but whenever I see Phoebe I can't help but stare, when she laughs a small smile creeps onto my face, when she misses class I always ask around to know if something happened, when a guy talks to her I make sure that he won't talk to her again. The worst part of it all? I don't know why this is happening, and it's frightening.

"What are you doing to me?" I asked myself in a whisper

I put all the books on the table, careful to not close them all the way so she wouldn't lose the page. She would be so mad if I did that.

I chuckled at the thought and after all was cleared I tried to pick her up, that didn't go well at all.

When I put my hand underneath her to pick her up I accidentally, slightly groped her ass. Pho immediately shot up. Phoebe fixed her hair and gulped, my eyes widened in fear of what was to come.

"Oh my god Phoebe I'm so so so sorry, I really didn't mean to--" I though that she would slap me, hit me, anything but no. Instead she stared at me, taking in her surroundings and the situation.

"What time is it?" she asked groggily, interrupting me. I was in shock due to her reaction, "Uh-- eleven" I was caught off guard as I checked my phone.

"Okay" she wiped her mouth and got her phone out of her pocket, Pho dialed someone and the person answered almost instantly. "EJ? Yeah, my bike is still in the repair shop. Mind driving me home? I don't wanna walk this late" she spoke. 'EJ' said something through the other line and she sighed in relief.

"Great, thank you. 2197 Hamilton" she hang up.

All I kept thinking while she looked for her things was "Who is EJ?" 

"Why do you care?" she barked, "I just do, I can drive you home if it's not safe" I suggested. "Then the twins would be left alone" she argued.

"Phoebe, who the fuck is EJ 'cause I'm not letting a random man drive you home when it's pitch black out. You don't want the twins to stay alone? Fine. Then stay over. Sleep in my bed and I'll sleep in the couch" I was getting madder by the second, she chuckled and that somehow eased my nerves.

"EJ is my big brother, I would usually use my bike but as you heard, it is in the repair shop"

I let out a deep chuckle, I saw her going from stiff to relaxed all in a nanosecond. "You have a bike? As in a motorcycle bike or just a bike?" 

This was something that you would totally see coming from her. Come on, it's Phoebe Monroe. "Motorcycle bike" she said mindlessly as she closed all her books and put them in her bag.

"Why not a car?"

"Money doesn't grow on trees. A bike is not cheap but definitely cheaper than a car" she explained with some sort of hidden resentment. I never thought about it like that, I never had to.

"You wouldn't get it 'cause you're filthy rich" she mumbled to herself, "You hate me 'cause I got money?" I asked, it most definitely felt like it. Pho chuckled in disbelief, she looked outraged.

"I resent you because you're entitled as fuck, Ryle. You have this amazing set of parents which you don't appreciate, you never have to worry about what's gonna be for dinner or if you'll even have dinner 'cause your chef takes care of that. You take this privileged life you have for granted. I don't hate you, if I did you'd know"

She's right, she's totally fucking right.

During my seventeen years of life I never even thought to think about this, about how lucky I am to live this life, to have a good education with excellent opportunities, to not have to worry about money. It never crossed my mind that people didn't have the same opportunities I did.

"You don't hate me?" I asked, I could've said what I actually thought but this was more fun. "Fuck's sakes, Ryle. Can't you get it? It's not a hate thing, it's--" she was interrupted by her phone ringing. Phoebe picked it up, "Going" she said, it was her brother.

"Phoebe--" I started but she cut me off, "Your mother said that you'd give me my money" she held out her hand, I put the money that my mom told me to give to her on her hand.

Not gonna lie, I did think about stealing some of it but I don't need it, it would be selfish to do so. Holy fuck, do I hear myself? this woman is doing something bad to me.

"Goodbye, Ryle. See you on monday" she sighed and as she went to open the door my words stopped her, "Wait! I need tutoring, can you do tuesday?" we both knew that that was a lame excuse so I would see her again, "not right after school, I could be here at seven and I could stay until nine" She spoke, "That works for me" I shrugged.

"Great" She rolled her eyes, opened the door and left. I chuckled and locked the door after her.