Chapter 11 - Minutes? Eternity?

-

-

"Pho wait!"

I was about to leave the West mansion when Mia stopped me by latching onto my leg, "Mia come on baby, Phoebe has to leave" Miss. West shot me an apologetic look, "Hold on, Miss. West" I kneeled down so me and Mia would be at the same level, "What is it?" I asked with my sweetest tone.

"Ryle told me to give you this, he told me to give it you because you told him not to talk to you" Mia handed me a small brown paper bag and I did my best to suppress an eye roll, this man. "Thank you, Mia" I pecked the top of her head and then she let me go. "See you, Miss. West"

"See you, Phoebe"

I walked outside and before getting on my bike I peeked into the bag, I was surprised to see a small torn paper, a rose and something that resembled a ticket, I scoffed, put the bag in my backpack and got on my bike to go back home.

-

I went inside and directly into my room, EJ had taken Soph for a tour of his campus and they would sleep at his friend's dorm. I originally didn't agree with the idea but I know his friend and he's basically an uncle for Sophie.

Anyway, I made sure to close the door and then I sat down. I pulled out the bag that Mia gave me and decided that I would check out the torn piece of paper.

 I pulled out the bag that Mia gave me and decided that I would check out the torn piece of paper

I laughed as soon as I finished reading, it was obvious that this was Ryle. His ego mixed with selfishness, the fact that the paper was sloppily torn and the way that he refuses to use capital letters.

I searched for the ticket he mentioned; the game was on friday at seven, I chuckled and put it aside. Lastly, I took out the rose only to sniff it and find out that it was real, I didn't want it to die so I looked for the only old small vase that we have left to wash it, fill it with water and place it next to me on my nightstand with the rose in it.

I decided that I wouldn't tell Ryle that I was going (that would cause a massive increase of his ego). Yeah think all you want but I find sporty stuff super thrilling. 

Just as I put the ticket and the torn paper in the bag I got a message, it was from Ryle and it read; 'hi pho, mia told me that she gave u the bag (im not asking for an answer btw). im writing to u (not using verbal words aka speaking) bc i wanna say sorry abt forcing myself into ur business, atm it felt like the right thing. i dont pity u and i never have, tomorrow ur coming over for the tutoring shit so i wanted that to be clear. see u at school'

Ryle recognizing his errors? the world must be ending or I must be ending, maybe both.

--⚠️ TW: Domestic violence/verbal abuse (start)⚠️--

"Phoebe!" Mom called out for me, my name slurred. My heart dropped to my stomach and I made my way downstairs, "Yes?"

Noah went back to his university, it was just mom and me that night. "Come here, girl" her words barely coherent. With fearful steps I walked towards her, only to have a glass bottle slammed against my waist, the bottle broke on impact and shards of glass pierced through my skin. I let out a yelp, "I hate you, I wish you were never born" I don't blame her, sometimes I do, too.

I've learned to make her words meaningless, but it still hurt to have your own mother call you names, to have your own mother despise you, to have your own mother regret giving you life.

I lifted my now bloody shirt up, I let out a wince at the sight. Mom was charging at me with full speed, all I had to do was held out my balled out fist for her to slam into, that way falling unconscious to the floor.

--⚠️ TW: Domestic violence/verbal abuse (finish)⚠️--

"Fuck me" I tried to get the glass out, causing it to go in further. The pain made me not be able to control the dumb idea that came into me. A hospital would cost a lot and they would probably call social services, I didn't want to risk Soph going into the system or me going into the system for that matter.

"Pho?"

"Don't ask questions, your dad's a doctor, right?" it was getting more and more difficult to breathe, "Yeah?"

"Just... forget about it, everything's f-fine" I winced and gasped at the last word in pain, "Wait don't--" I hung up and looked at my wound only to find out that more and more blood was gushing out of me, my shaky hands dialed Noah, he didn't pick up. "Godamnit Noah"

Just as I was about to dial Elijah my hands failed me, I just felt how my legs were about to give up so I slowly managed to walk to the door, I got my hand on the handle and then my legs buckled, making sharp pain run through me.

It was really hard to move or breath but the door opened, making me fall outside. I looked up, how was it him? He didn't know where I lived.

"What the fuck happened?" he asked, fury laced his words. "Help me, Ryle" I coughed, then my vision went dark.

"I got you, Phoebe. I'm not letting go." Ryle picked me up bridal style and put me in the back of his car, "No hospital, social services no good. Elijah call." In my mind I formed coherent sentences but loose words came out instead. 

"Where's your phone? So I can call your brother"

"Dropped it, kitchen" I spoke, I never saw Ryle run so fast in his life, in two minute he was back next to me. Two minutes, two decades, two seconds, two years, two months, it's all the same, right?

"He's EJ, no?" I closed my eyes and he had already started the car, wasn't he just next to me? "Yes" I gasped, and then my eyes were to heavy, my lungs were heavy, my arms and legs were heavy, life was heavy. 

"I won't let you go, I... I promise" for the first time Ryle sounded sincere, honest even.

Then I finally went to sleep, for a few minutes or for eternity, who keeps count either way?