Chapter 14 - A girl

"Don't you get it mom?! You bought food over a month ago, it ain't enough

"Don't you get it mom?! You bought food over a month ago, it ain't enough." at first I was screaming, then my voice started to break

"Fuck's sakes, Phoebe. You have a job, no? Use that money" she said in a calmer manner, that was worse than if she had been screaming at me because after all, it proves that she doesn't give two fucks about her daughters.

"Unlike you, I'm responsible. I'm saving my money for me and Sophie's college. That way we don't end up like you, a useless, drunk--"

She slapped me, lately I had been getting used to that.

"You're a failure and you're gonna die alone" She spat, I had to pretend like that didn't absolutely destroy me. "Yeah, yeah, whatever" I spoke, was it possible to care any less?

-

I was walking the halls, there were bags under my eyes, my arms were thinner and I had been avoiding Ryle. I had too much going on to think about tutoring.

Anyway, I was walking to my class and West spotted me. "Shit." I mumbled, I turned around and started to walk very fast

"Pho, come here" Ryle muttered through gritted teeth.

Just when I thought I had out-walked him, he grabbed me by the arm and pulled me into the janitor's closet.

"I'm worried, Phoebe. Please tell me what's going on" he practically begged, desperate. "Nothing" I tried to get to the door but he blocked me.

"Do you really think I'm that stupid?"

"Well, yeah" I shrugged, I went for the doorknob but he pushed my hand away and I scoffed.

"Are you at least coming tonight?" he sighed.

Shit. His game's tonight.

"Oh... right. Your game. Yeah, yeah I'll be there" I said as if I had not totally forgotten about it. "You forgot" he sighed, disappointed.

And a part of me absolutely hated that look on his face, it's important for him to see me there. The question is why.

"I told you I'll be there, it starts at six, right?"

"Mhm" he hummed, disappointedly.

"Is that all?" I asked, he moved, letting me go through. As soon as my hand was on the doorknob, he spoke up.

"And Phoebe?" he called out, I turned to him and he was awfully close to me, my hands started shaking and, as silly as it sounds, I started to breathe funny. "yeah?" I breathed.

"You can't push me away, because, as strange as it may sound, I care about you. I'm not gonna let you shut me out."

I was mesmerized, I couldn't think straight, hell I couldn't do anything but look right into his grey eyes. He smelled like him and that was awfully comforting. I felt him breathe in and out and he felt me do the same.