two: an angsty teen turns into a storm, and i free fall

~•♡•~

lightning crackled overhead not even five minutes after jason left to talk to coach hedge. worksheets flew into the grand canyon, and everyone started screaming.

i gripped the rails with leo beside me

"everyone inside!" hedge bellowed inti his megaphone. "the cow says moo! off the skywalk!"

"i thought this thing was stable!" i grunted as the glass under me began to crack.

the storm turned into a miniature tornado. clouds funneled onto the skywalk as kids made a go for the door.

"WOAH!"

i yanked leo back by his shirt before he toppled over the railing. he crashed into me, knocking both of us onto the cracking glass.

"thanks, babe!"

"don't call me that."

we tried to run for the glass doors. piper and dylan were holding them open, ushering kids inside. piper's snowboarding jacket and hair were flapping wildly, but she confidently told everyone it was okay and to keep moving.

we struggled. the very wind itself seemed to be pushing us back. my feet felt like led as i tried to step forward, my eyes watering fr9m the harsh wind.

dylan and piper ushered one more kid inside before they lost control. the doors slammed shut.

kids inside pounded on the glass and piper tried to open the door again.

"dylan, help!" she yelled.

but dylan only offered an idiotic smile. his cowboys jersey rippled in the wind, like he was living vicariously through the storm.

"sorry, piper. i'm done helping."

he flicked his hand, and piper flew backwards.

"piper!" i wailed. jason and i surged forward, but coach hedge pushed us back.

"coach, let me go!" jason pleaded.

"oi, ya cock! piper needs help!"

"jason, leo, aruna, stay behind me." hedge ordered. "this is my fight. i should've known that was our monster."

"what?!" leo demanded. a rogue worksheet smacked his face, but he slapped it away. "what monster?"

"we have monsters?!" i shrieked.

coach's cap blew off, and i wanted to puke.

why did he have horns?

his bat changed too. somehow, in the blink of an eye, it was now a treebranch in the shape of a club. leaves and twigs were still attached to it, flapping wildly in the wind.

dylan gave a psycho smile. "oh, come on, coach. let these two attack me! after all, you're getting too old for this. isn't that why they retired you to this stupid school? i've been on your team the entire season, and you didn't even know. you're losing your nose, grandpa."