Chapter 2

Finishing up the chicken and putting the macaroni and potato salad in fancy bowls, I quickly walk to the living room to where my parents and older brother are sitting on the couch watching a football game.

"Dinner's ready." I say after whichever team scored whichever touchdown.

Everyone gets up from the couch and rushes to the kitchen where everything is set and ready to eat. Home cooked meal. That's the Kentucky way.

"This smells great, sis." Austin, my older brother says.

My mom gives me a big hug, "It's so great to see you again!" She squeals for the 15 hundredth time.

"How's college going?"

"When's graduation?"

"You keeping those grades up?"

"How are your professors?"

I'm bombarded with questions. I shrug, answer politely with the appropriate answer, not really caring until my mom's question catches me off guard.

"You seem happier. Have you met someone?" Everything comes to a stop.

I turn around from getting the chicken from the warming drawer to see everyone's eyes on me.

"Umm well...no. Not really." That was only partially true. Yes I have met someone, but was a one moment-most-likely-never-to-see-again guy really worth mentioning?

"Liar!" Austin coughs. I shoot him a glare as my dad eyes me suspiciously.

"Anna-" I cut off whatever speech my dad is going to make,

"There's no one. Just me, okay? I'm not seeing anyone, and I haven't met anyone."

"Oh well that's too bad." My mom says, "You really shouldn't be so alone at your age. Maybe you should actually try to meet someone."

Facepalm.

This is always how my
Mom works. Brings up something like this: if I say I am seeing someone, then I get a lecture. If I say I'm not seeing anyone, then I get a lecture. My family know that I'm definitely not the dating type. I just never became interested in anyone.

"Look. It's whatever. I'll do what I want. I'm not a child anymore." I say, like all the other times we had this conversation, "So how's work for you dad?" I change the subject as I dish up the food.

"What's his name?" Austin asks

"What are you talking about?" I reply back as I finally sit down.

"The guy Annalise." He continues teasing me with my full name.

"What makes you so sure it's a guy?"

"Anna dear, you're glowing." My mom intersects.

"Am not."

"Are too."

"Am. Not."

"Are. Too"

"Austin I'm not fucking glowing! we just ran into each other at the store and talked for like 10 minutes! I barely know him!!" I scream, then cover my mouth.

Shit.

"Ha! So there is someone!" Austin points an accusing finger at me.

"Like I said. 10 minute conversation." I roll my eyes and try to avoid my parents stare.

"Well?" My mom pesters.

"Well what?" I snap.

"Annalise Elizabeth!" My dad yells, "Do not speak to your mother like that."

"I'm sorry...it's been a long day..." I mumble. "His name is Matthew Starks, and he just got back from Afghanistan. He's in the army." I pour drinks, "That's all I know."

"Was he hot? Did you get a number? How old is he? Please tell me you guys didn't fuck because--OW!!" My mom slaps him on the back of his head

"AUSTIN RYDER!" My dad has a thing with using our middle names today.

"Yes. No. 24. No, we didn't." I say nonchalantly. "He was really sweet and funny though." I say

"Awwww!" My mom coos and I blush,

"But like I said, it was nothing. I'm never going to see him again."

~~•~~

^^Matthew^^

"Annalise Elizabeth Torres. Right here on the database. She's 21 and attending USC. Graduating soon as valedictorian. She was also a valedictorian at her high school too. Damn Starks, where did you pick this one up?"

"Doesn't matter." Corey chuckles, and I continue, "What else you got?"

"She lives pretty close to you."

"Well?" Silence.

"You know I can get fired for this?"

"You only mentioned it like 10 times. Don't worry. You won't get caught and lord knows you'll do it again." He sighs,

"Yeah. Ok ready?"

"Yupp." I say popping the 'p'.

"This is kinda stalker status, Matt." Corey points out.

"I know but...Corey I can't get her out of my mind..."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hope you like it!!

~QuackingDuck~