Chapter 8

I wake up to a nuisance repeatedly poking my cheek. I try batting it away, somewhat becoming successful, only to have it return with giggling accompanying the jabs.

"As much fun I'm having Anna, you only have one class. So get your ass up before you're late." Lexy's voice fills my ears.

I groan and pull a pillow over my head. "I don't wanna go." I whine. "Call me in sick."

"You are all out of sick days, lazy fuck." She says as she rips off my pillows. "Get. Up." she pushes me out of bed and I land with a thud directly on my face.

I lay there, face down on the carpet, unmoving. I feel stinging on my face where my nose took most of the carpet, and I know I'm going to have carpet burn on my nose. Just what I needed.

"Just think. In less than two weeks it'll be summer." I hear Lexy say and she tries to get me up, "the pool, hot life guards, bikinis, hot shirtless men, sunshine, hot tanned men, late nights at bars, hot men-Oh for Christ's sake Anna don't you dare go boneless on me now get up you little slut!"

I stare at her after listening to her list of summer things while raising an eyebrow at her. She giggles and I get up shaking my head,

"Jake's not enough for you?" I joke around, but I see her smile falter. "Oh I'm sorry, hun." I give her a hug as she tries to hide her pain, "I'm going to kick his ass right now." She shakes her head and grabs my arm with a slight smile on her face.

"We decided we needed a break...his parents are all on our asses because they hate me. We're just taking a break until he can sort things out with them, hopefully getting them to at least tolerate our relationship." She holds up her left hand, that has a simple band on the ring finger. She looks at me with a grin. I gasp,

"Did he...?!" She rapidly shakes her head.

"It's just a promise ring." But to them it means more.

I smile proudly at her as she admires the ring with such love it makes my heart twist thinking how much I want that. My phone bings from my room and I leave Lexy to her own thoughts to check it. I smile as I see who's texting me and immediately reply:

Matt: Wanna meet up for lunch later?

Me: Sure! What time?

As I wait for a reply I finish getting ready for my class today. Saying goodbye to Lexy and head out of our apartment complex. Passing by the landlord's perverted son who has to take on the job because of his father's health problems. He's always hitting on Lexy and I, and really any girl who lives in the building. He winks at me as I pass by, causing me to roll my eyes.

As I get in the car, I feel my phone vibrate and my car filled up with ringing.

"Hello?" I say, starting my car and pulling out.

"I love the sound of your voice." The person from the phone says.

"Hey Matt." I say with a smile, "what's up?"

"You still up for lunch?" He asks hopefully.

"No. I've changed my mind in the past 10 minutes." I reply sarcastically.

He laughs and the sound brings flutters to my stomach, "you think you can make it to the base and we can have lunch there? I'd love for you to meet some of the guys."

I bite my lip and ponder the thought. I hadn't been to his work yet, it being kind of special because it's a military base, where all of his friends are at.

"Yeah." I finally say as I pull into the campus parking lot, "sounds great. I'll text you when I leave."

"Perfect. I will meet you at the front gate. Make sure you have your I.D ready, have your seatbelt on when you enter the base and off your phone." He lists all these demands and I chuckle at him.