Chapter 23

*couple weeks later. Anna and Matt's relationship is now at 4 months. (Sorry for the time skip. I'm pretty sure this doesn't make sense....work with me here)*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Starks!" I hear my boss yell before he peaks his head into my office.

"Something wrong?" I stand after we quickly salute each other.

"You heard about Wilson moving I presume?" He asks.

"Yes sir I did. But if you don't mind me asking, what does that have to do with me?" I ask as we both sit down.

"Well, Wilson was in charge of the upcoming deployment." He trails, hiding something.

"And....?" I stretch out, waiting for him to get to the point.

"And as the rankings go, you're next to take up his job and handling deployments." My breath hitches. "And I think you know what that means." He says.

And I do.

It means I have to go back overseas.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I stare at the computer screen that has been open on the same email for about 10 minutes.

There's a knock on the door and I don't even turn to see who it is before I tell them to come in.

"Hey man." Ian says, patting my shoulder as he sits down. "I heard." Is all he says. "If it makes you feel any better, I'm going. It'll be like old times." I can't help but grin a bit, knowing he's trying to lighten my mood.

"Listen," he says. "you don't necessarily have to go. You've got a girl. Fox'll understand."

I shake my head. "I can't just make Stevens who has a wife and kids go. Skipping a deployment for a girl? What would that say about honour?"

Ian smiles at me and shakes his head, "you and honour." We chuckle. "But Annalise isn't just any girl Matthew. And we both know that."

"Ian. I think I love her." My gaze is back at my computer screen.

"Shit man." Ian says with a huge grin on his face. "I was wondering when you were going to come out with it." I give him a confused look and he laughs. "I don't think either of you realise how obvious it is that you love each other. They way you look at her, and the way she looks at you sometimes looks like in the movies."

"Good afternoon Miss Torres." I hear Fox say, and my heart seems to skip a beat when I hear her voice reply back as she laughs.

"How many times do I have to tell you Chief that you can call me Anna? All of you?" She seems slightly annoyed but I can hear her smile. "'Miss Torres'" makes me feel like a secretary or something." she says with disgust that makes us all laugh.

I'm watching the doorway when I see my beautiful girl's head pop in. Her wide smile makes me smile even bigger.

"Hey hey hey! Surprise! Zane let me off early. Thought I might stop by." She gives Ian a hug, seeing how they're like brother and sister.

"Hello gorgeous." He greets her. "How are you?"

"I'm great actually. The shop was slow so I had a pretty relaxing day. What's going on around here?" She asks, and Ian and I stiffen a bit.

"We're getting ready for another deployment that's next month." Ian says.

Annalise doesn't say anything as the room gets uncomfortably quiet.

"It was great seeing you Annalise. I better get back to work before Chief freaks." We give him a little laugh before he leaves my office.

I get up and close the door, and when I turn to face Annalise, her back is turned away from me.

"You're going." Annalise says, not looking at me.

"What?" I blink, wondering who told her.

"You're going on the deployment, aren't you?" I stay quite.

"Aren't you?!" She snaps in a harsh tone.

"Yes." I say quietly, she hears me.

She lets out a sigh and we both stand there in silence.

"Come here." I reach out my arm to beckon her to me. She doesn't hesitate to crash into my body and we wrap our arms around each other.

"I found out today." I tell her and she nods.

"How long?" She asks the question I've been dreading.

"About eight to nine months." I tell her and she buries her face in my chest.

"Alright." She says after taking a deep breath. She pulls away slightly enough to face me, but we're still holding each other. I see the tears brimming her eyes and it breaks my heart.

"If you want to leave and find someone who can be with you the whole time, and who can treat you right, I understand." I say, my voice cracking, expecting the worst, because it's happened before. "I completely understand if that's what you want-" I'm interrupted by her shoving me hard enough I almost fall on my ass.

"Shut up Matthew!" She shouts. "Just shut the hell up!" Her voice cracks as the tears spill. I wince, knowing that most of the guys can probably hear her.

"Annalise-" I begin to say.

"No! I don't want to hear it. I want to wait for you, dammit so let me wait for you!" She almost begs me.

"Okay." I say, and she closes her eyes as she tries to controls her sobs.

"Okay." She says quietly, and I bring her close to my body.

"I guess we have a lot to do before you leave." She says after a while of just hugging.

"Trust me. I have big plans for us." I tell her, making us both smile.

I lean down to kiss her, and she roughly meets her lips to mine halfway.

"I can't wait." She says against my lips, making us both grin wider.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well. That's a bit depressing. Matt's leaving. *tries to control sobs but can't*

But I also have big plans for this book.
Muahahaha

I hope you guys are excited as I am because I am so pumped.

Comment and tell me what you think!!
Any predictions??

~QuackingDuck~