Chapter 18

"Annalise. Wake up." I hear a soft voice say.

Every 5 minutes or less I hear that stupid voice that won't let me sleep, and is always checking the stupid bandage wrapped around my head. Always waking me up for no good reason. All I want to do is sleep. That's all I ask for.

"Go away." I mumble, not opening my eyes. My voice is hoarse and scratchy, seeing how I haven't spoken, hoping that I could just ignore the nuisance.

No such luck.

"Doctor. She's responsive and speaking." I hear the voice say.

I hear footsteps get closer and feel the bed dip.

"Annalise. Can you open your eyes?" A deeper voice, who I'm assuming I'd the doctor's voice, asks.

"Can you let me sleep?" I snap, not opening my eyes.

The doctor sighs. "Anna, you took quite the blow to your head. Tell me. Have you ever suffered from a concussion before?" He asks.

"No. I never was the sporty type. Why?" I squint a bit and the light suddenly triggers a headache.

"The brick that hit your head caused a concussion, which is when your brain gets knocked around in your skull, which gives your brain a sort of bruise, giving you a concussion." He says.

"Oh god." I gasp, "I'm going to die aren't I?" I throw my arm over my eyes dramatically.

He chuckles, "no. You're not going to die. We have to run one more test to see how serious the concussion is, and we can't have you falling asleep." He tells me.

"Why?" I ask.

"Some concussions, if you fall asleep, can lead you to fall into a coma. So as of right now, no sleeping until we get the final results." He tells me, standing up.

"But I'm so tired!" I whine, oblivious to what he just said about sleep.

"That's a very common symptom of a concussion." He pats my leg, "just hang in there."

Suddenly, it dawns on me. "Wait! Where's Matthew? And Aaron and Chia? Can I see them?" I ask pleadingly.

"Well, you can't walk, because unstable balance is another common symptom, but they're waiting outside. I'll get them for you." The doctor says with a smile.

I smile back, staring at the wall when I hear the door open, close, and open again with footsteps coming into the room.

"Anna!" I turn and see Zane standing there, followed by Aaron and Chia.

"What are you doing here?" I ask with much surprise as he hugs me.

"You think I wasn't going to see my favorite employee when she got admitted into the hospital?" He responds in disbelief.

"Hey!" Chia and Aaron exclaim at the same time, obviously offended.

"Oh hush." Zane snaps while taking a seat in the chair next to my bed. "How are you feeling?" He asks, focusing back on me.

"Better if they'd let me sleep." I say, very annoyed. "I'm sorry about your window though." I tell him apologetically.

"Yes. Because it's your fault." Chia scoffs as Zane glares at me.

"Chia is right, Annalise. You have nothing to apologize for." Zane says in a firm voice. "Understand?"

I nod reluctantly and look around. "It's good that y'all are here, but the person I really want to see is-"

"Right here." The mesmerizing voice fills my ears as I turn to the door and meet a pair of golden eyes.

"Matthew." I gasp out, my face breaking into a huge smile.

"Annalise Torres. You are terrible at making phone calls, you know that, right?" He tells me with his stupid smirk on his face as he walks towards my bed.

"What do you mean?" I ask with no memory of the phone call itself.

He laughs and comes sits on my bed, "You called me, told me there was an accident at work, then completely deserted the phone call to talk to someone else when I heard you were being taken to the hospital. Then you hung up on me." He says, laughing at my confused expression.

"Yeah. That's how a majority of her phone calls are." Aaron says.

"You can never get a full conversation with that one." Zane says laughing.

I glare at them, and Chia laughs, "C'mon guys. Let's get something to eat." She says, winking at me while ushering the boys out.

As soon as the door is closed, Matt's lips are attached to mine in a hard, worried kiss, like he thinks he would never see me again.

We break apart, our foreheads touching and our breaths mingling as we exhale deeply.

"When I got the call..." Matt says as I stare into his golden eyes. "I thought I had lost you. Always being in my situation, phone calls like that are never good. I thought..." His voice cracks as I cup a hand to his face. He grabs it and kisses it furiously, pressing it to his cheek once more.

He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, "I was scared to death." He whispers.

My heart flutters as I receive his words. "I'm right here." I tell him, pressing my lips to his for a quick peck. "I'm not going anywhere."

My soldier smiles at me as he lays me gently back on the bed, holding me and never wanting to let go.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Meh. I guess I could've done better....but I still kinda liked it.

I love all the support you guys are giving me! It's so awesome and I'm so super excited to write the rest of this story!! I cannot wait to see your guys' reactions!

Muahahhaha

Show me some love and hit the star!!!

~QuackingDuck~