Chapter 45

It was the crack of dawn, and TaiFeng was in agony.

She wasn't too sure how she got in bed in the first place, but she was ready to curse whoever laid her down on her back.

...Although, if she knew, she'd probably just let it go.

Aching and groaning as she got up, she carefully slipped off her robes to reveal the numerous whip marks along her back, along with all the other cuts and bruises along her arms and legs. They were raw and agonizing to look at, some of the cuts were even still bleeding. It was a living hell, and she was in constant pain, but hey. It's better than being dead...I guess.

'I can't hear anyone, so it must be pretty early.' She thought, beads of sweat forming on her forehead. Mustering up some strength, she got up and started looking for anything that would be useful.

Carefully rummaging around in the tent, she thanked the stars when she found some bandages.

Wetting a cloth with her bedside water, she gently dabbed at her wounds, wincing in pain every so often . But, like all the other hardships she had faced, she sucked it up like a boss and dealt with it.

Tightly wrapping the bandages around her arms and torso, she let out a shaky breath. Flopping down on her stomach, she lay sprawled across the bed, her head resting on her hand.

Feeling the callouses on her palms, she sadly sighed.

'I wonder where Juexin is.' She wondered, now lying on her side. 

'I hope it's in good condition. If anybody tries to use it, I'll make sure its sharpness is the last thing they feel.'

But honestly, did she even need it anymore? What with this whole,' Core-exploding Technique', as she was calling it.

But, regardless of whether or not she needed it, it was her sword and she wanted it back.

But getting her sword back was the last thing on her list right now. Although, she liked the idea of finishing Wen Xu off with it.

Oh, she had hundreds of ideas on how to put an end to his pathetic life.

Core explosion, boiling alive, death by a thousand cuts, being pulled apart by horses. She had even considered chopping him up and feeding him to QingShui!

It was one of the things that kept her going. But for now, she would take this one step at a time.

She splayed her slender hands over the side of the bed, like the petals of a wilting lily, looking ethereal in the early morning glow.

Beads of sweat dripped down her defined features, as her long hair flowed off the sides of the bed as a waterfall of silky raven locks.

Still feeling tired, she made the compromise to start the day as soon as she heard someone else get up.

She had been through hell and back so she felt she deserved to sleep in at the very least.

Yawning until she had tears in her eyes, she arched her back like a cat and became one with her bed.

It wasn't as comfy as her bed in YueYang or the one in her old bedroom.

But after three months of sleeping on dead leaves, twigs, and scattered corpses, it felt like pure heaven.

Lying down but still quite awake, she listened attentively to the sounds which she had taken for granted.

The sound of early morning birds, an icy running stream, the gentle footsteps of a deer foraging nearby, and the sound of leaves falling from the trees.