Sleepover

Everything's Okay by Lenka

-------------------------------------

"I need to go to bed, I can't handle all of this right now. Goodnight Mom. I'm guessing we're in my old room?" Alexsys asked getting up from her kitchen stool quickly.

"Yes, goodnight dear." Sue said, not looking up from the dishes in the sink.

"I'll be up in a few Darling." Tom said giving Sue his pie plate.

"I've only just met you Tom, and I can tell you're a nice person. A good match for Alexsys. She's a bit headstrong but it's all for the best, eh?" The silver haired woman smiled with a sweet sadness.

"Well thank you Sue, Lexsy is rather stubborn. But I love her for it." Tom chuckled rubbing his stubbly beard.

"I never understood why she broke up with Jason, he's such a nice young man. Much like yourself I would say." She looked out the window into the night. The pitch black sky dusted with stars, reflecting off of the ocean that was distanced from them by sand.

"Well she had her reasons I'm sure." Tom gave Sue a tight lipped smile, his body tightening up at the thought of the topic.

"Has she said anything to you about him?"

"Uh, nothing more than little stories." He shrugged his shoulders heavily.

Sue simply nodded but Tom felt as if she didn't believe him.

"Well, I shall say goodnight now Sue. I will see you in the morning." Tom decided to leave the conversation now before too much was revealed. Obviously Alexsys hadn't told her mother about the abuse. Tom didn't want to be the one to break it to her.

********************************

He trudged upstairs and down the hall to the bright blue door waiting for him.

"Knock knock." He whispered opening the heavy wooden obstruction, it creaked on old iron hinges, the salty sea air affecting it.

"Who's there?" Alexsys whispered back from the bed. She fell into a fit of giggles as he came into the room.

"A man in love." He said, sitting at the foot of the twin sized bed. The old metal frame popped and squeaked at his sudden weight on it.

"Does he know the woman in love that's also very annoyed at this whole situation and wishes that she didn't respond to her mother's letter?" Alexsys rolled over in the bed to look out the window facing the sea. She sighed deeply, the salt air filling her lungs.

"Yes he does, and he's very worried about her. Lexsy darling, I think before you make any judgements on Jason and his daughter, that you should see them first. She might begin to grow on you."

"Yeah, like a fungus, constantly reminding me of Jason." Alexsys rolled back over to look at Tom. His broad, now bare back, was all she could see. With his russet mess of hair on top, she grabbed his arm and pulled him down on top of her. His head laying on her stomach. "I don't want another reminder. Bad reminders are like pop ups on your laptop telling you to instal an update that will restart the whole system. You say no to those."

"But sometimes that update is good, and it helps you. All I'm saying is give it a chance." Tom kissed Alexsys' hand.

"Alright, I'll give Eve a chance. As much as I don't want to see Jason again, I'll do it."

Tom stood up and got in his pajamas, the two of them chatting wildly like teenagers.

"This is just like a sleepover when you think about it. A sleepover with my favorite person." Tom kissed Alexsys' cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too." She smiled and nuzzled her head into the crook of his neck.

Soon they were asleep in each others embrace. The waves slapping the shore lazily, with the faint hum of the wind floating by. Moonlight cast across their sleeping forms setting an eerie mood to the room. Neither one knowing of what lay in tomorrow.

******************************

Alexsys woke up first, the excitement of being home making a smile creep across her face. She watched Tom sleep, his eyebrows knitting together, screwing his face up every so often. Alexsys giggled at his expression and buried her face into his chest. Slowly Tom opened his eyes halfway, he groaned deeply causing the cave of his chest to rumble with the sound.

"I'm sorry Tom, I didn't mean to wake you up." She continued to giggle, and the giggles turned into hiccups of laughter.

"What is so funny missy?" He asked looking down at her red faced from laughing. Tears streaming from her eyes and smearing onto his bare skin.

"You," she gasped between laughs.

"And what about me?" Now Tom began to laugh.

"Your face when you sleep. Oh gosh, it's hilarious. Normally you're a very beautiful man, but when you fall asleep it's like someone has taken over your body." Alexsys snorted once, and then clapped a hand over her mouth and laughed harder.

Tom roared with laughter at her snort and the two of them were soon rolling around on the bed tangling peach colored sheets around their legs.

"We... We need to calm down or my mom will think we're up to something." Alexsys tried to take deep breaths and put on a straight face.

"Ah yes, we don't want your mum up here telling us to pipe down or we'll wake up everyone this side of the pond." Tom instantly put on a stern look and waggled his finger in Alexsys' face. She spewed with laughter all over again.

"You are a mess." He laughed.

"But loveable." She kissed his nose.

"Very loveable." He smiled widely.