chapter five

To recap, the twins have both avoided death, discovered that their father may be a murderer, learn that either twin could potentially destroy the school

To recap, the twins have both avoided death, discovered that their father may be a murderer, learn that either twin could potentially destroy the school. Wednesday was mysteriously saved by a homicidal monster.

"How could you miss a dead body?" Wednesday asked. The twins thought it was logical to report Rowan's murder to Principal Weems right after they entered the school. The sheriff and department spent all night looking, but ended up empty handed.

"Cause it wasn't there." Sheriff Galpin replied "No footprints, no blood, no sign of a struggle. Nothing, nada. My search party looked all night."

When Wednesday told her sister that she saw a two bugged eyed monster kill Rowan right in front of her, Monday did a happy dance, finally some action in this boring town. "Well, your search party must have left their seeing eye dogs at home." Wednesday retorted, "I saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of me."

"Get a good look at this monster thing?"

"I don't think murderers like to stick around for chats, Sheriff." Monday said, crossing her arms "Maybe it was one of your classmates." Principal Weems gave the man a pointed glare, "Sheriff, I find that question offensive."

"I don't care, cause I got three other dead bodies in the morgue." The older man scoffed, "Hikers just ripped apart in the woods."

The twins looked between the two adults, one with annoyed stare, the other enjoying the argument. Monday would've found this to be a pitch perfect parent argument, if she didn't find Weems to be a little fruity.

"The mayor said those were bear attacks." The sheriff shook his head, "Well, the mayor and I disagree on that."

"So you automatically assume a Nevermore student is the murderer, even though there's no evidence a crime was even committed." Monday let out a fake gasp, "How presumptuous of you, Sheriff. Now can we move on."

The adults took Monday's advice and continued to walk, the four finally reached Principal Weems office.

"My guess is Rowan ran away." Weems stated, sitting down at her desk "State troopers have put out an alert and I've contacted his family, but they haven't heard from him either."

"Dead people are notoriously bad at returning calls." Wednesday said, making her sister let out a snort "What were you doing out in the woods with him, Wednesday?" Sheriff Galpin asked, taking a seat in one of the chairs.

"I heard a noise in the forest and went out to go investigate. That's when I stumbled upon the attack."

"Then what happened?"

"I found my sister frozen in fear, she tried to help Rowan, but the poor thing was long gone. I had to find help to get her back here." Monday answered, ignoring her sister's glare.

"And just to be clear, this monster wasn't a bear or some other wild animal?" Sheriff Galpin asked. "I've hibernated with grizzlies. I know the difference."