What's A Girl To Do?

Weiss POV

My sense of self slowly returned as I was faced with the darkness of the dead of night. My blue eyes fluttered open, hand supporting my head as I tried to lift the blanket of drowsiness that was currently on my mind. I glanced around the room, trying to make heads or tails of where I was-

I lost.

A rush of memories suddenly came to me.

I clenched my fist in anger and disappointment. I had tried everything! I had planned it all out, wrote countless notes and watched countless hours of battle. I had gone through every situation in my head, yet here I was.

Defeated.

My thoughts drifted to Myrtenaster, my specially designed weapon from Atlas. It had been broken in the battle, but for some reason it made me feel better. I didn't like the person I used to be, so maybe a new weapon would serve me well. Maybe it would let me catch up to him...

I could see it now, the gleam of Itachi's Sharingan as it put me to sleep, all because of the smallest of errors on my part. All of my hard work was nothing in the face of those crimson jewels.

Even my trump card, my Blackhole Glyph, had been bested. Over the last month, I have been trying each and every day to successfully produce a summoning glyph. I've followed Winter's instructions perfectly, but nothing seemed to be working. It's the one matter I haven't told my team about. Because it's not like they would know how to do it either. And besides, it's so embarrassing...

So three weeks ago it struck me, if I couldn't get a summoning glyph to work, why not try for a different ace in the hole? So I began crafting my magnum opus, carefully tested with all dust types, until I settled on a combination of lightning and gravity. With the right concentration and volume, it allowed me to mimic a real black hole, even slightly rending the fabric of space itself. The ultimate attack, an unbeatable move against any opponent.

Except for Itachi.

Itachi was unbeatable. Or so it seemed. He was too strong, too fast, too skilled. He was too everything. He was leagues above anyone in our first year and I would be willing to bet that any of the students of any of the academies wouldn't be able to touch him. He may only be 14, but he's already a pro in my eyes.

And he's so smart too. He always knows what to do, how to help. He's always there for me, for anyone. I can count on him no matter what. He would never abandon me.

Not like Winter did.

And that's why I love him. Because even if we've only known each other for a few months, he's already made more of an effort than anyone else to get to know the real me. The person behind the icy walls that I put up in fear. He pushed past him like they weren't even there. He made me feel weak at the knees with his near presence. I trust him completely, and I would do anything for him.

I glanced around the room, noting the shattered moon that was on full display out of our dorm room's window. It must have been a few hours since I had last been awake. My body was sore, dull aches and pains throbbing every so often. My head was pounding rhythmically, a migraine swiftly forming now that I was awake. I groaned audibly, moving to cover my head with my blanket.

"Are you alright?"

I flung the blanket off of me in a stupor, fumbling around in bed as I let out a high pitched scream of fright. My head snapped upwards to the figure before me, coal black eyes looking down at me with an unreadable expression. It took me a second, but I soon chuckled bitterly in the back of my mind.

"Oh....It's just you, Itachi."

Itachi at least had the tact to look sheepish as he regarded me. "I apologize for startling you, Weiss. But I was beginning to worry." His voice was smooth like liquid midnight, his words sending a flurry of emotions through my heart.