*Chapter 5*

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!!!!

"Yea" and with that you left to monstadt

The walk back to the tavern was peaceful. The wind lightly blew on your face. You slightly closed your eyes taking in the scenery. The feel of the city at night was so calm. You wish you could fall asleep right there.

As you neared the tavern, you could start to hear the noise coming from inside. Venti singing with Lisa's voice echoing behind his. Your smile perked up a bit more after starting to hear the shanties from inside.

and you had enjoyed every moment of this night up until this point, and then it had hit you. Kaeya, Venti, and Lisa were all in one building together and they were drunk. Together.  They fact they hadn't burnt down the building is surprise. 

"We should hurry, I wanna make sure everyone isn't dead ha-ha" you said guiltly looking over off to the side.  You hated the feeling you had made in the atmosphere. the feeling had started to eat away at you. "Yea, that sounds like a great idea" diluc replied. even if you weren't looking at his face, you could tell there was a softness he put into what he said. It felt more like a mutter. You just hoped he wasn't mad at for possibly overstepping a boundary of some sort.

------   

Back at the tavern:

Venti stood up on the table, singing as he always does. Lisa and kaeya, shoulder to shoulder in the back, singing, Singing along to the songs. So happy, seeming without a care in the world. 

You smiled at the energy they seemed to eminate.  You shook off the light feeling jealousy that grew in your stomach as you become slightly envious of the joy they seem to give out so willingly. So carelessly. You decided it was best not to well on this.

"Where did you two go?" Jean said, walking up to you and Diuc, who seem to tense at the question. "We just went out on a small walk" You replied, your face formed a light smile, with your eyes slightly creasing with the smile. "Oh, okay...'' you could feel the light tone change in jeans voice, the change in jean's mood was mad more prominent as her eyes seem to veer off to the side.

"Soooo" you said, trying to change the tense atmosphere in the small area that encapsulated the three of you. "Is there any birthday cake?" You once again. You knew you would recoil later on of the memories of tonight. All of the child-like questions would seem to come back to bite you.

As the "keeper of personal knowledge", and Lisa as the "keeper of wisdom" you felt the need to be mature, so to speak. You felt all the eyes on you. You had are very unique position, as you are the first person to have it. After an accident in the past and the growing medical industry in the area, the position needed to be had.

Zoning back into the story, Diluc looked at you with the same look as earlier, the same look he gave you when you asked about presents. Jean looked mildly  frightened for a second, before returning back to her calm demeanor. 

"ummmm....." jean started, you noticed her demeanor changed. Her body shifted her weight onto one of her legs, she was  avoiding eye contact, and she had moved one of her hands behind her head. " we did " jean carried on with. You felt the emphasis on the did. "what do mean by 'did'? " Diluc asked,raising one of his eyebrows. " well.. " jean said, darting her eye off to the side.  "   we tried to have a cake, but on the way to delivery, but a group of slimes attacked the carriage that carried the goods. Including you cake".  Jean gulped after saying that. She didn't know how you two would react to that. 

"oh okay" you said with a sort of blank smile on your face. Diluc's expression was unreadable. His interest seemed to have been piqued. You thought it was kinda cute that something seem to have put a childlike gleam into diluc's feiry eyes. Though, no else seemed to notice it. That just made it feel all the more special to you. 

"do we have anything to eat then?"you said glancing around. "I don't think we do" jean answered, returning the same blank look. 

Diluc let out a heavy sigh as he adjust his his sleeves around his elbow.  "its time to close down the tavern"

-----------------

sorry for the slightly  shorter chapter- just wanted to get it out before the new year!!! see you soon!

time : dec 31, 2022, 11:47

words : 790

-kai!