"I heard you wanted to understand what will be happening in a few days." The kind attorney working for the prosecution as the human relation to the case greets me as we meet at a very public Pret in London.

I take a sip of my coffee as he sits by my side with his order in hand. He has been the one guiding me through my deposition and reviewing with me the evidence I had gathered and witnessed to make sure everything would be solid coming to trial. He takes a piece of his muffin and puts it in his mouth.

"Honestly, Josh, I am very confused about everything that will be happening and has already happened. And my ignorance makes me incredibly anxious." I chuckle, but only because my nerves have been eating me alive these past few days, and I don't want to burden Marcel with any of it.

"We don't want that. I'm here to answer your questions to assure your testimony is clear and as true to your experience as possible."

"Could you explain to me in the vernacular from the start what exactly happened?"

"Where do you want me to start?"

"The night I went to the police with pictures and videos of the evidence of Andrew Wright's murder in Kristofer Alexander's house."

"Alright. The police reopened the case from Valentine's Day, twelve years ago. A new detective took the case to investigate the case and the new evidences found in his safe. The officers that worked the case twelve years ago were contacted and the investigation was relaunched. We reviewed the evidence, and came to new conclusions. The CPS, which is the Crown Prosecution Service, decided that the case had enough evidence to summon Kristofer Alexander. At that point, there was the question of bail or custody. Since the defendant didn't surrender to the justice of his own free will, bail was originally denied. He chose to pay for his own representation, and his council guided him to a plea."

"What's a plea?"

"If they plead guilty or not guilty. He evidently chose not guilty. Choosing not guilty meant we were going to trial. His council then had the choice between Magistrate Court or the Crown Court. They chose the Crown Court, that's why getting to trial was so long."

"Why did they choose the Crown Court?"

"I'm really dumbing it down for you. And I'm giving you my opinion. This is a friendly meeting, not an official one. Don't hold anything I tell you against me."

"Of course not. I really appreciate you meeting with me."

"They made the smartest move for their case. By pleading not guilty they are entitled to something called advance disclosure, which means the defendant is entitled to see all evidence gathered against them."

"Are you telling me that they know our entire case?"

"They have all the evidence, all the testimonies, all the expert reports we have ordered. But they don't know our narrative. By choosing the Crown Court, they plead their case to a jury, not Magistrate. They have a higher chance of leading the jury–or fooling– if you will, the jury in another way then the one we will try to lead them into thinking. We are trying to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Kristofer Alexander is responsible for the premeditated murder of Andrew Wright. Not the murderer. But responsible for his death. Are you following?"

"I think I am."

"Having decided to advance with the Crown Court, they then got to what's called 'case management hearing'. They decided to plead not guilty, so the case management hearing was in far greater depth because they needed to think about exhibits, witnesses, the length of time that the case is likely to take, calling a jury and jury selection. This is where the administration of the case happened in pre-trial. Then, with their not guilty plea, we were supposed to proceed with trial."