One

The morning sun on your face made you groan from your place of sleeping. Your eyes blinked open and stared out the windows and to the world beyond. And you sighed.

You would never be able to experience it. The window, when not looking at the landscape in the distance, was heavily barred. If you needed anymore of a reminder that you were a prisoner in your own home, it was there to remind you every single morning. The day had come when you could no longer take the authority and the loneliness that plagued you, first you tried escaping, when that earned you near fatal beatings, you jumped. Or tried to. If the chamber maid hadn't came in when she did, you would be blissfully dead right now.

A knock at the door made you jump, "princess! You're father waits for you in the dinning hall for breakfast."

You groaned again and sat up, "I'm just getting dressed, I'll be there shortly." You got up grumpily and walked over to your closet. A dress had already been picked for you. Blue as the Numenorian sea. Putting it on you brushed out your hair quickly, slipped on some flats and left your room.

The captain of the guard stood before you, sir Eamon. His face, although old, contain smooth skin that would imply him to be much younger than you always thought. He was always giving you very conflicting feelings and they always aired on the side of shady and untrustworthy.

He smiled looking you up and down, "your beauty is breathtaking, princess. If only I were young again. Come, I will lead you to your father. You have important matters to attend to today."

You rolled your eyes to his "compliment" before following him, "Am I allowed to know what matters are so pressing?"

"The king needs the captain of the guard to attend to other duties. I will no longer be guarding you."

For a moment a wave of relief crashed over you. Could you finally be getting some independence? You couldn't even remember a time where you were unattended. How you dreamed for just once, to do something without prying eyes. To just be, without a caretaker, or protector.

That excitement was very short lived when Eamon continued, "Your father has put out a job listing looking to fill my position as guardian of the princess. He's taken someone for hire."

"Oh." You spoke softly, looking to the ground.

Eamon looked over his shoulder at you as he walked, "don't look so sad. I'll always be around for you, princess y/n."

If his words were supposed to be comforting they were the opposite. Leaving a bitter taste in your mouth.

Breakfast with your father was quick and unusually painless. It was rare that you made it through breakfast and dinner without a few remarks sent your way. Usually your father blamed you indirectly for your mothers death. She died during childbirth and your father acted like he hated you ever since.  But you had royal blood and would someday be ruling Numemor so he had to keep you around but that didn't mean he had to treat you like royalty.

A guard capturing everyone's attention, walked into the room.

He bowed before stating his purpose, "My king, the new guard for the princess has arrived."

Your father gave a nod, "Thank you. And what might his name be so I may address him properly?"

"Halbrand, your majesty."

Your father gave another nod, "send him to the throne room. He can get a royal welcome there. May his first impressions last him, for he will soon wish to quit. It is no easy feat protecting this one." He "joked" while pointing at you. The guards joined his laughter whether or not they agreed with him, you couldn't tell. All you could do was offer a weak smirk and look down ashamedly.

You internally prayed to whatever God was out there, to make this guard be more understanding. Maybe a friend even. You didn't care what they looked like, they could be one of those foul orcs. Just please, have some kindness that would make your suffering a little more bearable.

_________