Three

(Not my image)

(Not my image).

__________

"Now that you are officially knighted, there are rules you must understand," king Claudius told Halbrand.

The newly knighted man stood a little taller than he did when he walked in. The grace of his new found duty clearly gave him an air of confidence, "I would imagine so. Please, your majesty, state then to me."

"My daughter had a strict curfew. She must be in her chambers no later than nine. She is not allowed outside of the palace walls. Not even so much as an inch. And heed these next words, Sir Halbrand, I will only tell you once." Claudius put a hand on Halbrand's shoulder making the red haired man look at him in confusion. What could be so worthy of attention?

"I am listening, your grace."

Your fathers voice became very dark and almost a whisper, If I find out that you and my daughter are...copulating. I will have your head. Am I clear? She is royal blood. When she conceives a child it will be next in line for the throne, not a bastard child. Do I have you word?"

Halbrand looked like he'd gone a little pale but nonetheless he nodded slowly, "you have my word."

Your face had gone a little red as you weren't ready to hear your father say something like that and it was a little embarrassing...especially considering how you had immediately thought how handsome Halbrand looked when you first saw him.

The two men stared at each other and you opted to step in, clearing your throat, "I think this would be a perfect time to show him around the palace, don't you think father? He will need to well acquaint himself with it."

Your father nodded and stepped away from Halbrand, "Sounds like a marvelous idea. Go ahead and give him the grand tour, daughter. I have matters to attend to. Don't be long." Those were his final words before turning to leave with the fleet of the other guards. Seeing that you had your own guard, the others were no longer needed.

You turned to Sir Halbrand, "I do apologize on my father's behalf he can be..." you thought for a moment.

"Overwhelming?" Halbrand offered.

Your brow quirked, "precisely."- You looked around to make sure the throne room was indeed empty before stepping up to him, and whispering, "-I'd watch what I say, if I were you, Sir, Halbrand. In this palace, the walls have both eyes and ears." His green eyes were even more mesmerizing up close. You cleared your throat and blinked away, "come, I know just where to begin our tour."

You made small talk for the most part. He told you little bit about himself. Although he didn't reveal too much it sounded like he had a typical child hood. A normal childhood. You had lead him to the gardens, the library, the kitchens, the dungeons, but you saved the most important part for last, the hall of the dead.

"This is where we bury the kings and queens of Numenor. Each one gets a statue made of them once they pass." You said softly as you cupped the marble carved face of a woman.

"And this one, before you, do you know them?" He searched your rather empty expression.

You hummed that echoed off the chamber, "my mother."

Halbrand bowed his head, "I'm sorry, princess, I did not know."

You shrugged, "there's no need to apologize, sir Halbrand. She died giving birth to me and my father won't let me forget it."

You removed your hand from the marble and just then Halbrand's saw it. Your wrist covered in bruises. Some were yellowing as they healed but there was also a deep purple there that signified something far more recent.

Without thinking he gently grabbed your wrist and demanded to know who'd caused them.

"You wouldn't believe me even if I told you."

Sir Halbrand met your eyes then, "if someone is harming the princess, I must know about it. Who did this?"

You swallowed, "and if the king we're responsible what would you do then? You cannot harm the king."

Halbrand paused for a moment. He clearly hadn't thought about your father being a possibility. Looking back at your bruises and giving them a gentle brush of his thumb he said, "A threat is a threat. Those can still come from family."

You admired his bravery but couldn't help but smirk and laugh at him.

"What?" He dropped your wrist carefully.

"He has a whole army at his command and yet you are just one man. Sir Halbrand do forgive me, but if you try anything he will kill you. And I don't wish to see you dead so soon."

"I took on a sworn duty to protect you and that's what I'm going to do what do I have if not my own vows?"

You sighed and tried to reason with him, "then protect me. But don't put yourself at risk until the moment is right. It will come."

"Your father is an evil man isn't he?" Halbrand looked like he had a bad taste in his mouth.

You looked down at the floor," admitting to such a thing and even having this conversation would be considered treason."

You felt your chin lifted by gentle and soft fingers, "Yet you don't deny it." He saw right through the answer you wanted to give.

You smirked, "then let my silence on the matter speak for me, Sir Halbrand."

He shook his head with a smirk of his own and dropped his hand, "just Halbrand will be fine, princess."

Your smiled even more feeling a little giddy, "just y/n, is fine."

"Y/n," he tested your name and found that you like the sound of it coming from his lips. This realization made you go a bit red.

"Come, Halbrand, the day grows darker. My father has mandatory breakfast and dinner times. We should go lest we arrive late."

He agreed with a nod and followed you wordlessly. You made small talk on the walk there and found that you were getting along better than you could've ever imagined. It was extremely early to tell but maybe, just maybe he was finally the answer to your prayers.