Seven

A week later you had found yourself walking the halls with your bodyguard in tow. You made small talk and got to know him more. You learned that he didn't know is parents very well, which, although sad, you felt similarly. You had never really met your mother and your father was so distant that to get to know him would be an impossible feat. Besides, it wasn't like you wanted to get to know him anyways.

You stopped by a large window and peered into the city below. People went about their daily lives and exciting events were happening simultaneously. A little girls birthday party, a music festival happening in the square.

Halbrand's voice behind you broke the silence, "Have you ever been out there?"

you shook your head, "never."

"Would you like to?"

You turned your head to him ins surprise so fast, your hair followed in wisps. Was he loosing his mind? If you were caught, you would be in so much trouble. This has always been your father's most sacred rule: do not leave the palace.

Halbrand sensing your silent turmoil added, "We could go with the cover of dark. I'm sure the common folk wouldn't even recognize you as the princess--it's not like your father allows you to be seen by the public. We could be back before sunrise."

You turned his words over in your head. It could work. Halbrand would need a cloak to cover his armor and it would have to begin just after Halbrand's guard was over. That way, no one is the wiser when the see your door unattended.

A smirk grew in your face at the mere thought of doing something rebellious, "I have to say you're a bad influence".

"Is that a yes?" He smiled back.

"If we can pull it off, it's a yes from me."

Halbrand held out his arm for you to take, "then we must plan privately. We never know who is listening here do we?"

You couldn't help the exciting feeling in your heart. You'd only wanted to mingle with normal people since... forever!"

After your formulated a plan it was dinner time with your father. You liked knowing something your father didn't for once.

"Y/n," your father called from the head of the table, "what's that silly look on your face."

"What look?" You tried to devoid your face of any emotion.

"Like you find something particularly funny. Have I done something."

That almost made you laugh. Your father and funny were two words that should never mix.

"I uh," you looked to Halbrand beside you who nudged you gently with his foot. You needed to think of something, "I just can't wait to go back to my room, your majesty. You see, they've dropped off a plethora of new silk dresses and I couldn't wait to try on-"

Your father shook his head and waved his hand, "ok that's enough. I don't want to know anymore." Relief flooded you and you perked at Halbrand once more you quickly gave you a wink.

After dinner you giddily made it back to your chambers. Outside your door you turned to Halbrand, waiting for a servant to pass.

"Alright," Halbrand started, "just like we planned. At midnight, my shift ends. I'll give your door a knock and we'll go."

"I'be got a cloak for you. I'll grave it when the time comes." You beamed at him, "I haven't felt this excited since...well I can't remember!"

As much as the thought seemed to sadden Halbrand he rested his hands on both of your arms, "I know. You won't fall asleep on me in there will you, y/n?"