Four

Your gaze during dinner had been captured by the world outside the dinning hall windows. Most of the window was intricate stained glass artwork but there were slivers where you could see the mountain tops and the sea beyond. And once again you were day dreaming about a different life. A free life.

"Y/n!"

You jumped and looked to your father.

"I do demand that I have your attention when I am speaking! What is so worth seeing out that damned window anyway?" Your father sighed and rolled his eyes, resting a hand on the table, "I do apologize Sir Halbrand, my daughter's head is often clouded by distractions."

Halbrand cleared his throat and he sat up in his seat a little more, "there's nothing to be sorry for, your grace."

Claudius mumbled, "oh you say that now. Wait till she ignores you when you speak."

You fought the urge to roll your eyes and looked a little shamefully at Halbrand. He gave you the faintest of winks making you avert your gaze and felt yourself go red.

The door opening was heavily missed to say the least.

"Ah, sir Aemon, what news have you?" Claudius happily greeted the captain of king's guard.

At the man's name you felt yourself retreat into yourself. You looked to the plate of food before you. Unable to look him in the eye. Unknown to you, Halbrand had been studying this reaction.

Aemon walked in with the charisma of a celebrity, "King Claudius, it's nice to finally be back. Although, unfortunately, I do have private matters to discuss." He stepped around the table and came to stand behind you, making your breath hitch.

Aemon looked to Halbrand with a critical eye, "You are the princess's new guard then?"

You looked over at Halbrand who was giving Aemon a seemingly hard stare.

"I am."

Aemon looked him up and down, "good luck. You'll need all of it when dealing with this one." You suddenly felt Aemon's hand clasp your shoulder, making you jump. "She can be such a handful." He massaged your shoulder.

You tried in vain to hide a disgusted look. You weren't sure how much more you could tell with body language that you weren't interested.

Aemon continued, "she's a pretty little thing, isn't she? You know it's-"

"-You had private matters to discuss with the king, Aemon, was it?" Halbrand's voice was thicker than normal. Looking at him you saw repressed emotions that he was almost failing to hold back.

Aemon retracted his hand, "Sir Aemon."

Halbrand still held his stare. Thankfully Claudius decided to end the fighting by rising from his chair, "Dinner is over. Sir Halbrand, return her to her room at once, will you?" He waved his hand off like it was nothing.

"Yes, your grace." Halbrand agreed. You stood on shaky legs and headed towards your chambers.

Once you were far enough away and down a lengthy corridor her wondered about you, "are you alright?"

"Yes," you breathed, "Sir Aemon is like my father's pet and he's always been...like that towards me."

"Handsy? Inconsiderate?" Halbrand listed half joking half not, "what about harassing you?"

You shrugged, "it's not like I can just tell my father. He'd laugh at me or worse, encourage it. Thank you for stepping in," you said as you came to your chamber door, "it was very brave."

"I think I can see why you day dream so often. Who wants to be treated like chopped liver?"

"Not me." You sighed, "I appreciate your company, Halbrand. I knew we've only just met but I feel like we may be able to be friends. I haven't got many of those these days."

He shrugged making his armor clink, "believe it or not I haven't got man of those myself. You can tell me anything, princess, I'm glad you feel like you can confide in me. As your protector we have to trust one another."

You smiled, "that we do. I should be getting to bed. You'll be on guard out here?"

He nodded, "if you need anything, yell for me. I'll be right here."

"Thank you, goodnight Halbrand." You gave a little bow.

"Goodnight, y/n."

The both of you exchanged one final smile before you closed your door for the night.

___________

Vote, comment, and follow!