Five

__________

You couldn't breath.

Looking down at your chest there was a large hole where your heart should be. Blood. There was so much blood as if you had been doused in a bucket of it. You staggered down the lavish marble halls, smearing the red liquid on the walls. You tried calling out for help but no one came.

When a servant did pass you you grabbed onto the apron she wore, "you..have to help me. P-Please."

But she did nothing. She did not look and she did not stop walking. You continued on regardless, your feet heading you somewhere on their own accord. To the throne room, where your father sat in his chair, proudly looking upon and empty room.

"Father, he-help me. I c-can't...breath," you gasped, clutching no your chest. But he too did nothing. Anger and panic rose within you. You were struggling to breath more and more with every second. You needed him to look at you.

"Father!" You cried, tears unwillingly welling in your eyes.

Again he did nothing but stare.

"Father, look at me!" You screamed. He had to react to that surely.

But nothing.

"Look at me!!"

"Y/n!" A familiar voice came.

Your eyes snapped open and you sat up, having large and deep gasps for breath. The feeling of oxygen in your lungs was too relieving to speak. You hadn't even heard Halbrand come into your room and likewise, didn't realize you were holding onto him as if your life depended on it right now. Your body was still shaking in the aftermath of what had to be one of the worst nightmares you'd ever had. You continued to breath in deeply, greedily inhaling as much air as possible.

Once you'd calmed down enough to look him in the eye, you leaned back. And wiped your hair out of your face.

Halbrand broke the silence, "Sounded like one hell of a nightmare, princess... do you want to talk about it?"

You stared at him weighing if you really wanted to relive it. Thinking back on the dream was enough to make tears prick at your eyes.

Halbrand noticed of course, "y-you don't have to. Ok um, I'll give you some space." He made to get up but before you even knew what happened you had latched your hand around his arm. The cool armor feeling heavenly on your clammy skin.

"Stay."

Halbrand held your gaze for a moment before giving in and sitting back on your bed. He looked to you expectantly.

You retracted your hand and wiped it over your face, "I couldn't breath. I had this giant hole in my chest and no matter who I talked to, no matter how loud I screamed no one could hear me." Your voice wavered, "no matter how hard I tried no one can see or hear me with this hole I have inside me." You confessed your dream to your new friend and he listened intently. Placing a hand on your shoulder as you lost more and more of your composure. You added weakly, "there's no end to this loneliness, Halbrand."

"Shh Shh," halbrand whispered. Without missing a bear he scooted closer and pulled you to him, your head falling perfectly onto his chest. And you let him. This might have been the first act of affection you'd had in years and you needed more. You selfishly allowed yourself to drop the princess and be a human being with feelings, and wept onto his chest.

Halbrand pet your hair and very softly rocked you, "let it out, my princess. You've been strong for far too long. Let me take some of it for you. I know too well what it's like to be lonely."

His words and ministrations worked like magic and your tears quickly turned to whimpers and calmer breaths. His last words intrigued you as you pulled back and wiped your eyes.

"You do?" You stared up at him with glossy doe eyes. He couldn't say no to you even if he wanted to.

"I have secrets of my own, sweet y/n. I am the promised king of the South Lands of Middle Earth."

Your brows furrowed, "that is only myth. The line was wiped out ages ago."

"It is being remade."

You stared at him with new fascination, "if that is true then what are you doing here if you don't mind me wondering?"

He shook his head with a soft smile, "not at all. Naturally many don't believe me when I tell them. I am ridiculed for what I am and for what I believe so I buried it. So now I'm just...Halbrand in search of a trade, and honestly living. I want to learn what it would really mean to be king."

You hummed, "well at least from my father you should learn what not to do." You felt...special? If that was the word to be considered trustworthy of Halbrand's secret.

Halbrand let out a light breathy laugh, "I think you may be right there. When the time is right, I want to try to create a new world. One with order and structure."

"That sounds like a world I could live in. My life is pure chaos."

"Not to me it isn't." Halbrand gently let a finger brush your knuckes making your eyes meet his with a blush.

"Then you have more to learn, bodyguard." You nodded your head towards your bedroom windows.

He followed your gaze and his brows furrowed when he saw them, "what is this?"

"My father would tell you that it is a necessary evil. But I to me, it's a cage." Thick iron bars covered your windows and they had been nailed shut for extra measure.

"Why did he do that?" Halbrand sounded a little bothered by the fact that your father would do such a thing. He will soon learn to lower his expectations of the king.

"You've seen my life Halbrand. It is fruitless. I am more of a slave who happens to have royal blood. My only use is growing heirs when my fathers thinks the time is right. My life is a nightmare I can't escape. So I tried to end it. If the chamber maid hadn't caught me as I was just stepping out of the window I'd be..." you trailed off not really wanting to say it out loud.

"Your father will pay for for everything he's cost you, y/n. I replied you that."

"Oh Halbrand. I wish I could see it that way. Longed for that for so long but it will never happen. It is folly. He will try to kill you if you attempt anything. As a friend, I urge you to leave Numenor and never return. You're safer farther away."

Halbrand reached a hand up and smoothed it down your cheek, "I wouldn't leave without you. You're stuck with me for the time being."

You sighed with a gentle smile, "I'm ok with that."

Halbrand smiled back before dropping his hand, "there's still plenty of time to get some sleep, princess. I will leave you to get some rest."

"It's late, get some rest too, Halbrand. For me?"

"If you wish it, I will see it through." He gave you a wink after he stood. You watched him head for the door.

"Goodnight, my king of the South Lands." You voiced in the silence.

He stopped in his tracks and turned to you, making sure he'd heard your correctly. When you said nothing else he gave a small bow.

"Sweet dreams, my princess." Was spoke quietly with a smile before leaving your chambers.

__________

A/N: Alright then, Halbrand. Keep your secrets.

VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW