Two

(Not my image

(Not my image. Found on Pinterest)

_________________

You followed behind your father and surrounded by a dozen or so guardsmen and knights of Numenor to the throne room.

(Also not my image)

It was a giant, circular room, laden with shiny marble floors and clad with Numenorian red and blue flags. Banners drapped over banisters and the throne was more of a golden bench than anything. It was meant to be shared by the royal family, but your father always made you sit on the stairs that ascended the throne.

You took your place behind your father. It was customary to greet the guests standing up even if your father didn't like you standing so close to him. The guards took their own positions by filling in around the throne room ruling out any possibility of escape should that event happen.

Once everyone was in their rightful place, the king commanded, "Bring him in."

Upon his word the doors to the throne room opened instantly. In walked a man, with notable red hair even from this distance. He had two other guards flanking his entry.

You studied the man closely trying to get a read on him. He was...fair looking you supposed. A younger man which you didn't think you're father would allow, but the hard look behind his eyes suggested he had been in a fight or two and knew how to defend himself.

The new bodyguard stopped in front of the king and gave a bow.

"King Claudius, it is an honor." He looked to you and offered another bow, "princess y/n." You politely curtsied back.

Your father smiled a pleased smile. Any compliment towards him he selfishly ate up, "the pleasure is mine. Halbrand. You have been selected to guard the princess. You do understand that there are vows you must take in this position?"

Halbrand nodded, causing red hair to fall in his face,"I am aware".

"Then you may vow them here. Before we begin, is the amount we agreed on still to your liking?"

Something about hearing the payment for your babysitter didn't sit well with you. It seemed indecent to talk about with you standing right there but your father never cared for morals.

"Yes, your majesty. Might I ask a few questions of my own?"

Your father quirked a brow. A telltale sign that that he was annoyed by the question but would've gone unnoticed by those who didn't know him.

"Of course, Halbrand."

Halbrand nodded in thanks before looking around the room, "there are more than a dozen guards here, who is it the princess needs protecting from? With all do respect she seems harmless. Who are her enemies?"

Your father smirked and looked over at you, "oh I think you will come to know that for yourself. It is in the small hours of the night where her safety is jeopardized. I care only for her safety at all times." You saw right though his lie, "the...lower income inhabitants of the city have been known to weasel their way into the palace; seeking riches and the only thing they find is their death. Will you keep my only daughter safe when I can not?" The extra pout of his lip made you silently roll your eyes and get you looked eagerly at Halbrand.

Halbrand's flicked over to you and he stared for a moment. You blinked feeling heat rise in your cheeks and looked down again.

"You have my sword, King Claudius. I will take the vows".

Your father smiled happily, "very good. So may it be done. Do you, Halbrand of the South Lands, swear to protect princess y/n daughter of King Claudius the first of his name?"

"I do."

"And should her safety require the cost of your life, would you pay it?"

There was a beat of silence when your wide eyes caught his green ones again. Without thinking you shook your head no. No stranger should have to die for you. What was your father thinking? Had he officially gone mad?

"I would." Halbrand said breaking the silence and followed it with, "But they wouldn't live long enough to even get the opportunity."

You had to admit. His bravery and confidence in himself was endearing enough but no man should be wasted on you. He was going to rot in here just like you were and you pitied him.

You father smiled darkly, "and lastly, you bind yourself to ensure the safety of the future of the crown including whatever children she may bear in the line of succession?"

Again, another beat but an unmistakable, "I do."

Your father held up both hands and the surrounding guards kneeled as did you, "Now come the days of safety for my daughter, Princess y/n of Numenor. I herby knight you, Sir Halbrand, you will fulfill your duties henceforth; may you go with the blessings of the Valar. All hail, Sir Halbrand."

The guardsmen and knights stood in unison and spoke as one, including your single soft spoken voice, "Hail, Sir Halbrand!"

Hail, Sir Halbrand!

Hail, Sir Halbrand!

And it echoed through the royal hall and in your bones causing chills to rise on the flesh.

_____________

Vote, comment, and follow!