Thirteen: Love in the Dark

Almost a full week had gone by. Tomorrow was the day that you would have to chose a suitor and settle for an unhappy life until the end of your days. Tomorrow, the last of your individual freedom dies and you become a prisoner to the throne. As if you weren't already.

You tried practicing with your dancing with an instructor and you'd failed miserably. You'd never danced with anyone before and you were expected to be a professional in only a weeks time. Flattery was doing better but then again you only had Halbrand to test it on. This "celebration" was going to be a nightmare. You almost pitied the poor fool that you were going to choose.

And this is where you found yourself in the late hours of the night. Practicing your dancing in the dark, and by yourself. Just went your spun yourself around, you'd misjudged in the terrible dark of your chambers and collided with a chair.

You let out a little pained yelp when your hip rammed into the the furniture. The force of the collision sent you crashing to the floor with a loud thump when the chair toppled over as well.

You painfully propped yourself on your arms.

A knock came at the door, "y/n? Are you alright?"

"Fine," you breathed out.

Halbrand thinking otherwise decided to come in, "y/n..." you said softly as he came over to pick the chair up off of you and help you up, "what on earth are you doing?"

"I was trying to dance but this chair in my way had other ideas." You rubbed your hip. Halbrand noticed and replaced you hand with his and massaged it.

"It's so late in the night, you should be sleeping."

You shrugged sheepishly, "my dancing isn't improving. I don't want to embarrass myself in front of so many people tomorrow."

Halbrand hummed shifting his weight, "Still having trouble then?"

You nodded and looked at him with those eyes he couldn't resist. He took a finger and tilted your chin up, "don't be discouraged, princess. What if I helped you?"

You perked up, "you know how to dance?"

He smirked darkly, "I happen to have many talents, beautiful." He winked which made your ear go hot.

You chuckled nervously and leaned up on your toes, inches away from his lips, "show me." You whispered.

He gave a low growl and his grip on your hips tightened. He leaned in and kissed you. Although it was lustful, it was passionate and light. He pulled away making you whine.

"As much as I want to show you that particular set of skills, you really need to learn to dance more. Perhaps after. I want to spend every moment I can with you, while you're still mine."

You wrapped your arms around his neck, "I'll always be yours, Halbrand. I don't think anything can change that."

"The same for me I'm afraid," he spoke softly, looking deeply into your eyes as if committing them to memory, "look at my feet. Every move I make you do the opposite." His positioned himself a little better and started slow at first so you could get the hang of it. Once you caught on to it, he upped the pace and introduced circling in place together.

He chuckled lightly, "you're not bad, princess." His eyes met yours and you dared to look away from his feet and test your abilities.

"Guess I just needed the right partner." You smiled.

Halbrand smiled and laughed too. Happy to have you so close to him and to share this sweet moment with you. His smile dropped a little as he had a realization and he looked down at your face again, his expression much more sad.

"What is it, my dear Halbrand?" You worried softly. Seeing him so sad hurt.

"It's just...I've finally found you, the one I want to spend an eternity with, but you will be promised to another tomorrow. I know I will always be there to protect you, but... I don't want to share you. It's greedy and selfish but I don't care. I want you all to myself."

You stopped dancing and cupped his face, trying to fight the growing lump in your throat. You felt so terrible for putting him in this position, "I'm so sorry, Halbrand. I...I don't want anyone else. All my life I've been alone and mistreated and then...someone has blessed me with you. You've brought happiness into my life again. The offer is still there Halbrand, if you wish to leave I will tell my father that you fled or escaped whatever I need to. You would have a head start if you left now. Although it would break my heart to see you go." A tear fell over your cheek which he wiped away, "I know it in my heart, Halbrand, that I love you unconditionally." You blinked back tears as you stepped away from him.

There was silence from him for a moment before he was pulled you by your waist back to him, he pressed his forehead against yours his voice was emotionally thick as he spoke, "say it again."

You looked at him in shock before his voice came again. Desperately, "Please say it again."

You took his face in your hands and looked deep into his beautiful eyes that saw you for you, "I love you." You whispered. " how could I not? You're perfect. I love the way you laugh, the way you smell, your humor, the way the sun sets your hair aflame, I love the way your gaze sparks something in me that I didn't know I had, I love the way your fingers dance on my skin in the morning light, and the way you make me feel loved with your deadly sweet promises that make me look forward to tomorrow. I need you so desperately because I am so irrevocably and unequivocally, in love with you."

Halbrand's face scrunched up. He pulled away from you and began to pace. You stood in surprise and confusion at his actions. He was huffing as he mulled something over in his head silently. Tears continued to fall down his cheeks. He casted glances at you and you continued to stare in worry.

"Halbrand, what is it? Have I said something?"

He shook his head and ran a hand through his red hair, "you can't love all of me, y/n."

"Why not?"

He shook his head, repressing something. You'd seen enough you stepped up to him and took his hands in your own, bringing them to your lips and kissing them, "Halbrand whatever it is, I assure you, it will not sway be from you. Nothing can."

He searched your eyes for the last bit of courage he needed, "my precious. You are so good an pure. I don't know what I did to deserve you. I...I haven't been entirely truthful with you. I regret with the heaviest my heart has ever been, that there is something I need to tell you. You may never agree to see me again. If it's what you choose, I would understand completely, and at your wish, I would leave you."

"Tell me". You cupped his cheek and caressed him. The innocent and tender gesture making Halbrand's eyes blink closed as he breathed for a moment, soaking it in. He blinked his eyes open after a moment.

There's a pause, "I just was to look at you one last time."

You leaned in closer, letting your lips ghost over his, "tell me," ghosts over his lips. He swears you were part siren in that moment. Your voice could coax out even the darkest parts of him and get him to do whatever you liked. He couldn't fight the next words from being spoken even if he tried. And he did try but his body disobeyed him.

"I'm...Sauron." He whispered it almost painfully. He searched your eyes for any reaction to his surprise you didn't even bat an eye.

"I know." You smiled and closed the gap.

That night felt a like touching destiny with your finger tips; or like meeting fate in the most tender of kisses. Sauron had not expected to fall so helpless for a mortal woman, nor you with with a fallen angel. But your souls knew how to dance together; to reach out and connect. To become one in the same. Creating a union in secrecy and in shadow,

And in the darkness, bind you.

________

VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW