Twelve

A/N: shorter chapter but the next chapter is gonna be JUICY and decently long. A lot of stuff is gonna go down. I may release the next chapter at the same time that way you don't have to wait. I'm aiming for ~20 chapters maybe 15. So it is sadly about to come an end
Words: 638

________

You were relaxing on the balcony with Halbrand yet again. It was another beautiful day in Numenor. The kind that would be considered wasted if spent in doors. You were laid out, with your head on Halbrand's lap. The red haired man carefully ran his fingers through your hair and massaged your scalp while you spoke.

"I don't even know how to flatter people. Where do I even begin?" You asked, searching the clouds above you.

Halbrand shrugged, "You flattered me pretty well."

You gave him a look, "You're different. I...know it's wrong and against my fathers rules, but I had eyes for you the moment you walked through the door."

Halbrand chuckled, "Is that right?"

You blushed looking up at him, "how could I not? I'm a moth, and you, the flame."

He hummed and let your hair some more, "so I exist to destroy you?" He questioned.

"Not at all," you said without hesitation, "I think we exist to burn together."

Halbrand smirked at that, "I think you may be right, my precious one." There was a moment of comfortable silence that passed before he piped up again, " come on, you really do need to be practice."

"Ok, give me a scenario." You obliged.

Halbrand cleared his throat in thought before speaking, "Alright, let's say one of your suitors is an...older man that-"

"How old?" You interjected.

"Old enough to be your father or grandfather."

You made a disgusted noise and Halbrand continued.

"I know, y/n, but it is a possibility you must consider. Let's say he greets you, 'I am king Thadin, of Rohan. It would be an honor if I was your suitor.' He kisses your hand and you say?"

You rolled your eyes, "It's unfortunate to have to meet you, King Thadin as I've already got a suitor. I need you to be ok with sharing your wife with another man."

Halbrand gave you a look, "that's exactly the opposite of what you should say."

You sighed and looked away from him, "I hate this Halbrand. Every fiber of my being is filled with so much dread at the mere thought of doing this. I think death might be preferable. I wish the world would just swallow me up and this would all be a funny dream or something. Or maybe, with some luck, a dragon will come and destroy the city making us have to blow off the whole thing."

"Dragons are hard to come by. But besides," Halbrand thought while he ran his hand through your hair again, "Numenor's fate is already decided."

Your gaze shot to Halbrand. He was looking off into the distance as if surveying the land.

"How do you know that?" You wondered, squinting at him a little.

"Uh," His eyes went a little wide as he looked anywhere but your face, "I am well read on my history of Arda."

Sure he was. But you knew better than that.

He continued, looking at you this time, "Ancient Numenorian rulers made an agreement with the Valar. It's said that the Numenorians agreed not to sail west, for the race of men are not permitted to the Undying Lands. However, Numenor continues to sail further and further west. They are breaking their promise and they will pay dearly for it before the end."

"I hope I'm not here whenever that happens," you commented.

Halbrand looked down at you and caressed your face gently," I would get you as far away from here as possible."

You brought a hand up and cupped his cheek which he leaned in to, "I know you would." Halbrand would really do anything to protect you. It caused a warm fuzzy feeling to envelope your chest.

_____________