Golden Gods, Part II

Their UK tour had gone well, and now they were back in the U.S. for another Golden Gods Awards ceremony.

Jake was amazed they'd managed to win two years in a row. He was equally amazed that this year, the award was for Best Guitarists, shared of course with Jinxx. He had to wonder which song had caused fans to vote for them (if it had been just one), but couldn't deny his excitement―Best Guitarists was quite the achievement, especially when he saw the other nominees, guitarists of bands that had been around far longer than they had.

The five of them arrived backstage at Club Nokia much less nervous than they'd been the previous year. Jake wondered what to expect this time, who would be there, who else had won―if he'd recognize any of them. To his surprise, when they entered the backstage area to find it once more teeming with musicians and crew members (and, to his confusion, Johnny Depp), Alice Cooper immediately came over to say hello.

"Hey, guys!" he greeted.

Andy's eyes widened immediately. "Holy shit."

Alice laughed. "Come on, don't be so shy, we've met before."

"Once," Andy said, sounding slightly strangled.

Alice's grin looked a little wicked, but good-natured. "You've certainy kicked some ass since the last time we spoke. Your record was a huge success."

"Thank you," Jake said, himself a little starstruck. He'd forgotten how much of a rush it was to actually be talking to a legend like Alice Cooper.

Alice nodded. "No problem, man. You guys are killing it. You're here for Best Guitarists, right?"

Jinxx nodded, somehow appearing calm. "And a performance."

Alice grinned again. "Yeah, I know, I'm introducing you."

"You are?" CC's voice was half an octave higher in surprise.

Alice laughed. "Yep. I'll be introducing you to the stage when you play. I think Ozzy's guitarists are introducing your award, though."

"Oh, that's cool," Jake said. "We've worked with Zakk before."

Alice nodded. "Yeah, I heard your cover. Fucking epic EP, by the way, you guys killed it on 'Rebel Yell', and 'Coffin' is definitely a banger."

"Thanks," Andy said, a little faintly. Jake reached for his hand on instinct; Alice's eyes were drawn to the movement. Jake mentally cursed himself; we're not supposed to be telling people, you idiot.

But Alice smiled. "How long's that been going on?"

Jake glanced at the others a little shyly. Oh well. No turning back now. "A year today." He hadn't even realized until Alice asked. Apparently neither had any of the others; the surprise in their eyes blended with the undisguised love, and the smile on Jinxx's face, however small, warmed Jake's long-still heart.

Alice smiled at Jake and Andy's intertwined hands. "Good for you, guys," he said, and sounded sincere. "I'm glad you're happy with each other." Then he smirked. "Does this mean you're going to be putting on more than a normal show?"

Andy looked horrified at the very thought―Jake wasn't even sure exactly what he was insinuating and shared that opinion. "Gods, no. We're not...the Army doesn't know." He glanced at Jinxx, who surreptitiously took Jake's other hand.

Alice followed the singer's gaze and nodded understandingly. "Homophobia's a bitch," he said sagely. "Well, I'm still cheering you on."

"Thank you," Jinxx said quietly, though Jake noticed he held a little tighter to his hand anyway.