A Little Too Much

CONTENT WARNING: Violence, religious fanatics/implied religious trauma

Even vampires have bad days, and this definitely counts as one of them. Tread carefully; this entire chapter is literally back-to-back angst, they don't get a break.

~~~~~~~~~

How were they only two weeks into tour?

So much seemed to have happened in such a short time; Jinxx wondered if it would be like this the whole year, and if it was, if he'd look back later and remember 2013 at all. 

Their shows had been nearly sold out at almost every venue, a massive change from even the previous year, and the crowds' enthusiasm was as infectious and heartening as ever. Already it seemed most of the Army had committed the lyrics of the new album to memory, for Jinxx had heard them singing along to the new songs at every show, and witnessed the expression of pure happiness and excitement that crossed Andy's face every time. Even back on the bus after the shows' end, when they were all too wired to sleep even if they'd needed to, time had flown by―whether Jinxx was in his boyfriends' arms on the couch or buried under their lips in the bunks.

They had a show in Tampa tonight, and Jinxx found himself wondering as he touched up his warpaint in the mirror of the dressing room the five of them had commandeered how the first two weeks of January had flown by so fast.

Jake appeared behind him in the reflection. "Hey, you," he murmured, pressing a soft kiss to Jinxx's cheek and settling his hands on Jinxx's waist.

Jinxx smiled at him. "Hello."

"You ready for this?" Jake asked.

"Why wouldn't I be?" That was a genuine question―as far as Jinxx knew, he hadn't been acting oddly, at least not beyond his usual strangeness.

Jake's lips hovered near his collarbone; it was a bit hard to focus on the warpaint with the younger vampire so close. "I don't know. Something about tonight just feels off."

Jinxx gave up on the warpaint―it looked fine anyway―and turned to face Jake, immediately accepting the other guitarist's searching kiss. "I think that might just be you, Jake," Jinxx said. "I don't sense anything out of the ordinary." Still, Jinxx had had enough experience with random premonitions to be worried. Those feelings were usually right.

Jake shook his head. "I don't know," he repeated. "I'm probably just nervous, but..."

Jinxx kissed him again. "I know. It's disconcerting."

"To say the least." Jake sighed and rested his forehead against Jinxx's, careful of the warpaint. "You're the Mystic, aren't you supposed to be able to help with this sort of thing?"

Jinxx smiled. "If I could, I would. You know that."

Jake groaned. "Can't even let me tease you properly."

Jinxx chuckled wryly. "Yep, that's me."

Jake kissed him again. "You're no fun."

"You were saying quite the contrary the other night," Jinxx quipped, and Jake pulled back to look at him in mingled surprise and amusement.

After a moment, he laughed. "Just when I start to think you can no longer surprise me."

"I'm sure I'll always find some way to surprise you," Jinxx replied easily, smirking. "If I'm capable of doing it even after fifty years, then I think the odds are pretty good about the rest of eternity."

Jake chuckled. "Want to make a bet of it?"

"With what money?" Jinxx pointed out, and Jake laughed, stealing another kiss. Jinxx let him, purring softly.