Concept

April turned to May with only one major change in their schedule: they were finally able to start meeting with John Feldmann about getting this record made.

CC was a little restless going into the meeting on the very first day of May; he'd never met Feldmann before, after all, and didn't know what to expect. By Andy's account, he was a kind, spirited older man who could see, thematically, how this record should sound, but that didn't stop CC from being a little nervous.

"You'd think," he muttered to Jinxx as they got out of the car outside Feldmann's house―today was mostly a consult to make plans about how they would do this, "that after meeting a bunch of living legends at awards shows and on tours and stuff I'd be less nervous about meeting this guy."

Jinxx scowled up at the glaring summer sunlight, then looked back at CC with a much softer expression. "I've been finding it doesn't work that way."

CC sighed. "I noticed." He shook it off, smiling at Jinxx and stealing a quick kiss. "Oh well. It can't be any worse than meeting Alice Cooper or Nikki Sixx, right?"

"Hey, lovebirds," Jake called with a grin. "Come on, let's not keep him waiting."

CC chuckled and took Jinxx's hand, pulling the eldest vampire along with him as he joined Jake and Andy on their way up to the door.

"You're sure he's okay with all of us descending on his house like this?" Jake asked Andy.

Andy kissed him lightly, grinning. "Aren't I supposed to be the socially anxious one? Yes, he's fine with it, I called him a couple days ago to make sure."

Jake grinned back. "Ah, so you've prepared this time."

"Gotta beat the anxiety sometimes, right?" Andy grinned, but CC could see the doubt lurking in the shadows of his gaze.

CC stole a quick kiss as they reached the door. "Ready?"

"No." But he rang the doorbell anyway.

Feldmann flung it open not even a minute later, a wide grin already on his face. "Hey, Andy!" he said warmly.

"Hey, Feldmann," Andy replied. "This is my band―Jake, Jinxx, CC, and Ashley."

Feldmann offered them a warm smile. "Nice to meet you all. Come in, come in―we've got some planning to do."

And he stepped aside to let them in.

CC glanced at the others, surprised by the producer's enthusiasm, but followed Andy into the man's home, shivering only slightly at the chill of magic that swept over him as he stepped over the threshold.

Feldmann said something CC didn't entirely hear about needing to finish something or other and disappeared through a side door. CC hardly noticed―his attention was focused on the house. It definitely looked like the human producer had money―and of course he would, when he was such a successful producer and musician―but there was a softer side to it, and it wasn't as in-your-face as some of the other A-list Hollywood names would surely be. CC kind of appreciated that―the wealth visible but not flaunted, acknowledged but not forced, modest enough to not overwhelm his guests.

And the whole place felt lived-in, as if he spent more time here than at the studio, though CC knew they must be just one of a hundred clients. That feeling put him at ease, too―he was very close with his family, or he had been, and Feldmann's place having that home-y feel brought with it a sense of peace. A pang went through him, however, as CC realized he hadn't spoken to his sister since before he'd joined Black Veil Brides, and he'd fallen out of touch with his parents around then too. How could I have forgotten them? They're my family.