Download

A month into the recording process, the five of them were on a plane to the UK.

Jinxx had known they were playing Download Festival again this year, but it was still a little surreal to think about. Particularly as this year they wouldn't be so awkward with each other―the previous year's Download had been shortly after their relationship had turned into something more, and it had made things a little awkward between them as they tried to get used to the affection.

More than that―he was sober this time.

Jinxx wasn't going to pretend being clean again wasn't a struggle. It was―and after their first meeting with Feldmann, it had only gotten harder. It didn't help that Andy, Jake, and Ashley still drank, nor that CC kept asking if he was allowed to yet (Jinxx was worried Andy was getting close to relenting just to stop his pestering). Jinxx knew they tried not to around him, but the fact of the matter was their solution to every problem remained alcohol, and they were constantly around other people who drank―and it was so, so incredibly hard not to join them.

Somehow, he was forcing himself through it. It'll get easier, he reminded himself every time he came close to slipping. It always has before. It will get easier to manage.

It never felt that way.

To no one's surprise, it was an overcast weekend again when their plane touched down in Leicester Airport. Andy stared out the window as the plane's wheels touched the tarmac, shaking his head. "Typical England," he muttered, grinning at the rest of them, spread out across the whole row. "Dreary and wet."

Jinxx smiled from where he sat with his head resting on Jake's shoulder―it had been a long flight, and he doubted anyone could really see them except the stewards anyway. "But we love it anyway."

Andy laughed. "True that."

The five of them made it to their hotel in one piece, after a quick reunion with their bus driver from the previous times they'd been to the UK. With their warpaint―though considerably lessened from what it had been this time last year―Jinxx was sure they made a rather strange sight for the receptionist that handed Andy their key cards.

They'd only reserved the two rooms for themselves, and a third for the crew guys that had come with them―only a few, as the festival had its own staff. Jinxx followed Jake into one room to set his stuff down, and smiled as Jake pulled him into a kiss the moment his guitar case was safely out of his hands.

"Cuddling on the flight wasn't enough?" Jinxx laughed when Jake drew back.

Jake raised an eyebrow at him. "Is it ever? Come on, Jinxxy, you know me better than that."

Jinxx kissed him again, lightly. "I do."

Jake studied his face, a soft, radiant smile gracing his lips. Jinxx smiled a little, too. "What?"

Jake reached up, tracing the lines of his face with gentle fingers; almost despite himself, Jinxx let out a soft purr at the sensation. "Just...you," Jake shrugged. His eyes roved over Jinxx's face, as if trying to memorize it. "You're beautiful."

Jinxx was certain he'd be blushing if he were still able to do that. "You are too," he mumbled, abruptly shy―though he shouldn't be; this was Jake, after all, who he'd known and loved for sixty years.

Jake kissed him, slow and sweet, his hand in Jinxx's hair; when he pulled away, Jinxx was smiling.

"What's brought this on, Jake?" he asked.

Jake shrugged, a faint smile still lingering on his lips. "Just...a lot seems to have been happening really fast lately. I mean, we've already got three songs completely tracked and done―we only started like a month ago. And we're playing a fucking festival, which you know is going to be chaos―" He broke off and shrugged again. "I just wanted to take a moment to tell you how beautiful you are. A moment away from all the insanity."