Where Do We Go

Suggested listening: Ateez - Cyberpunk - Japanese Version

It was a peaceful, yet cold morning, minutes before leaving for school for Eun-jung; Jin was ready to go, as usual, while she was still sipping her morning tea.

-You'll be late. Again. If you don't speed up.

-Coming, papa!

But a knock on the door interrupted their usual routine. There was only one person who came to mind that could be behind the door, at that time. Hwoarang clenched his fists, and Jin thought best to go and get the door in his place.

-Children...

-...Services. We know. Please, come in. You will have to wait a bit to talk to me and won't have the chance to talk with Eun-jung today, because we were just about to leave for school.

-That won't be a problem. We will write her a note for her delay.

-A note from Children Services? You don't think it could cause some questions from the school?

-It will be precise, don't worry about that. I need to talk to the child.

-I see. If that's not avoidable...

-No, it's not, Mr. Kazama. Let's start with you. Do you always carry her to school on your own?

-Yes. Hwoarang usually takes her with milder temperatures and sunny days, he likes to bring her by bike then. The rest of the time, I take it as a duty of mine. I like doing so. We often use it to talk about family or school stuff, it's a "we time" that we have, and I'm grateful for it.

-So, you're saying that Seong Hwoarang trusts you alone with his child?

-And why wouldn't he? I'm his husband in another continent, stable boyfriend in this country, what's not to trust?

-Have you ever had experiences with women before entering the relationship with Seong Hwoarang?

-Just one, briefly, but...

-So you could say you're being left unsupervised with a potential sexual mate, only underage, every morning?

-Absolutely not. I couldn't see Eun-jung like that in a million years. I've seen her growing up in the last four years, she was just a child!

-Isn't that what she still is? Or do you see her as something different?

-She's a teenager, so, yeah, quite different than a child. I certainly wasn't a man at sixteen, but not a child either.

-You had quite a history behind at that age, that's for sure, Kazama Jin. Do tell, does not having a mother growing up mirror Eun-jung's situation somehow in your mind?

-Your mind is twisted, sir. There is not a day I don't wish my mother was still alive. But it doesn't mean that my relationships with Hwoarang or Eun-jung are driven in any way by her absence. My feelings are mine to develop and keep.

-I see. Thank you for the chat. I would love to hear from Seong Hwoarang now, if you please.

-I'm an open book.

-Talking about being sixteen, I've been having some trouble with retrieving your files from South Korea. It looks like the military had most of your youth sealed as "classified" as soon as you became Sergeant. Care to explain?

-Why don't you ask the Martial Court about it?

-I thought you were an open book.

-What is classified stays classified, unless a judge says otherwise, my friend. It's the way the world works. Nothing to do with me. I'm not at liberty to discuss my classified past.

-Thought so. Then, let's talk about your recent past. You signed up for A.A. meetings a little less than two years ago.

-Knitting classes were full, I suppose.

-I think you might want to change your attitude about that.

-Fair enough. I had a problem with alcohol, as you might have guessed. I've been sober ever since I joined. Never relapsed. Ask my counselor. Ask Jin, Eun-jung and any of our friends, they will all tell you the same. I never touched alcohol ever again.

-I will check this out. But what interests me is, why were you an alcoholic in the first place. What happened that ignited that button for you.

-Nothing specific. In Korea, we all drink very, very much. Much more than here in Japan. It's a sort of tradition, if you'd like. I brought it to the extreme and it crossed a line. It took me a while to recognise it, but Jin helped me through it. I don't know if I could have done it alone.

-So, Seong Eun-jung had an alcoholic for a father most of her life?

-Absolutely not. It came and went in waves. And, by the way, I never hurt her or put her in danger.

-So you say. Let's hear from the other party. Seong Eun-jung?

-Kazama-Seong. Here I am.

-Have you ever suffered negligence because of your father attachment to alcohol?

-Never. I was always well fed, cared for, and I had the best instruction possible.

-And how did he pay for that instruction, given that your name isn't on any list of any school nor in Japan nor in South Korea? I don't reckon your father was wealthy before meeting Kazama Jin.

-It's Kazama-Seong! Anyway, he always paid rent, food and private instructors with his job as a fighter. It wasn't always easy, but he provided for both. He is a respected taekwondo master.

-What about the "we time" in the car every morning? Have you ever felt threatened by Kazama Jin? Or have you ever felt like he had some... special attention for you and your developing body?

-You make me sick! Don't ever talk about Jin this way ever again. He's the most honourable and decent person you will ever meet in your life, and despite what you may or may not think, he is my papa, and would never touch me if not to hug me the way every father in this sick sad little world hugs his daughter! Now, if you'll excuse me, I really need to get to school, because after your ignorant banter I need to get some education!

Eun-jung slammed the door and closed herself in the car, waiting for Jin to come too and bring her to school.

-Well, this visit has been... enlightening. Thanks for your time. Mr. Kazama. Mr. Seong. Have a good day.

He was gone, leaving two incredulous men in the house.

-Jin, remind me why I shouldn't kill him next time he crosses our door.

-Because then they would win, and we would lose.

-Why do I get the impression we are already losing anyway?

Jin looked at his hands on the kitchen counter and didn't reply, leaving space to a deafening silence instead.